Ahe Dive Resort, Cenderawasih Bay (long review)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome video!!! The music was perfect!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!:)

Maddacub and Askkang,

What were the accom and dive costs like?

Seems pretty rustic so I'd expect the costs to reflect this but I've seen a couple of "community projects" that charged like a wounded bull just for the experience of cold showers

The only costs I could find were EUR 1,000 per week all inclusive...?? Pls confirm if this is what you found

@Goferrin99 EUR 995 IS PRICE for i week + flight from Jakarta EUR 400 if you are lucky.Maddacub comments seem fair comment and Askkang dive around Ahe and whalesharks.

Conclusion

Remote beautiful beach Island.handful of divers,reasonable diving and wonderful whale shark moments

@Goferrin99 - the weekly package is Euro 995 for 8Days/7Nights which includes 1 trip for Whale Sharks.
On other days, you get 3 boat dives per day.
The package does not includes Marine Park/Conservation Fees of Rupiah500,000. You have to pay this amount in Rupiah when at the Resort.
If you want to make additional Whale Shark trip, the additional charges is Rupiah1,800,000.
Alcoholic & Carbonated Drink is not includes. The cost of beer is around US$5/can

The Resort is powered by Generator at night from 6pm to 12 midnight.
They try to provide 'hot shower' in the evening using the solar-powered mobile shower bag.
For this, the heat up the shower bag during day time out in the sun and send it to your room in the afternoon.
So, if you get hit by rain during your stay, don't expect to get this hot shower.

Hi Goferrin99, there is a reasonable single supplement charge to the pricing info from askkang as above, and technically, I think they say "unlimited dives". But I think you can negotiate the single supplement a little. Due to boat problems we did not get 3 dives a day. In my mind, this seems a bit expensive for what they provide, being a pretty basic operation. Basic food. Ran out of carbonated drinks while we were there. No air conditioning of course, and not all the rooms were provided with a fan. But for now they have a lock on the whale sharks there, so you have to pay up for the whale shark experience. And yes, Arne does consider this a "community project"; this is specifically why he does not want outside help with his operations, even on a temporary basis.

Askkang #10 above: We were specifically told by Arne that the fishermen do get paid. There seems to be another group of fishermen who also want to get paid saying they also have rights in that part. Arne was arguing with them back in Feb/March. He told us this at least 2-3 times. So don't think they are doing us any favours by stopping fishing on our behalf!

Also, I should clarify that my original review was only of Ahe, which is just one very small area in Cenderawasih Bay which is a very huge area.

Hey Goferrin99, "...that charged like a wounded bull..." Very funny, I like that! If you don't mind, I'm going to use it the next time I'm negotiating with my car mechanic etc...

Thanks a lot for this very descriptive review, I was in fact planning to go there, but after reading your report, I am asking myself a few questions, should I stay or should I go...
Whales are indeed great sights but if poor marine life, it's really not enough for me.
And seriously, 995€ for 7 days in a resort where you get only a few hours of electricity, basic bungalows, broken engines in the boat, unprofesionnal diving staff, I simply say no to that.

@funscuba - seeing the number of dives you have logged, the general diving should still be good for you.
Corals are quite healthy, what is lacking is big fishes or big schools of fishes.
But if you are into macro stuff, there's lots of things for you to hunt for ...
As for facilities, that's a trade off with a place where you know you will not see any other divers other than the divers you are diving with!
Lots of other places that are good but you see more divers and bubbles than fishes
The Resort is still relatively new and they have lots of rooms to improve, one of which is the Boat and I was told by the Manager, they have
got a speedboat running starting June.
The staff may seems to be 'unprofessional' to most Westerners, but that's mostly because of the language barrier and these visitors, they
should have known better not to expect too much, as they have been forewarned in the info sheet.

Thanks for your concern about my logged dives but they are old infos.
Where I am coming to is that paying 995€ would be rather for a luxury resort where everything is top notch, of what I've read, it's not, sorry, but I am only commenting on what I've read. I've been to really good remote places these last years, and trust me, I didn't have to pay that much.
In my opinion they should have started the place with a much lower price to test the people's opinion.

@funscuba - seeing the number of dives you have logged, the general diving should still be good for you.
Corals are quite healthy, what is lacking is big fishes or big schools of fishes.
But if you are into macro stuff, there's lots of things for you to hunt for ...
As for facilities, that's a trade off with a place where you know you will not see any other divers other than the divers you are diving with!
Lots of other places that are good but you see more divers and bubbles than fishes
The Resort is still relatively new and they have lots of rooms to improve, one of which is the Boat and I was told by the Manager, they have
got a speedboat running starting June.
The staff may seems to be 'unprofessional' to most Westerners, but that's mostly because of the language barrier and these visitors, they
should have known better not to expect too much, as they have been forewarned in the info sheet.

@funscuba and what remote places would that be and at what cost.Regarding your point.It is a valid one and regarding cost.

@askkang so the reefs are just ok nothing special.As for macro what sites are really good there and what to see.What is the house reef like.

With the special experience of whaleshark there.This is a good selling point.but without that would it be worth the costs to go there.

Being in a remote place this has always made me wonder like similar places how and where do the cylinders get serviced and compresser.

@The World In My Eyes
The House Reef is not so bad, but am referring to the dive sites around Ahe Island itself.
There are several dive sites on Ahe Island and on 3 dives, we saw Black Tip Shark, Eagle Rays,
school of Bumphead Parrotfish, Napoleon Wrasse, Turtles, lots of Blue Spotted Sting Rays on the sandy area.
Under the Restaurant Jetty, there is a school of Jacks & Batfish.
On the macro side, there are scorpion fish, stone fish, crabs, shrimps and nudibranch.
The corals are also quite healthy.
As for dive sites on nearby islands, we saw mostly schooling reef fishes - moorish idols, banner fish, fusiliers and the likes.
There are several dive sites where you can find the pygmy seahorses.
The Manager showed me pictures of schooling chevron barracudas, seahorses, wobbegongs - but the local Guides didn't bring us
to those dive sites during my trip.

I am bit surprised that there are others who commented on the high price of 995Euro considering it is not a luxurious place albeit a remote place.
Do bear in mind, being a remote place, all things becomes more expensive - transportation, food, supplies, fuel among others.
Also, as it is a small & remote place, bearing in mind again they only have 5-6 rooms, good for 10-12 divers, there is no economy of scale!

I do agree however, without the whale sharks, it will not be a place worth going for the price.

During my stay, the compressor did broke down and they had to bring it to the mainland, Nabire to have it fixed.
We missed out on 2 dives while the compressor was being repaired.
The Manager offered a refund on the missed dives without us asking for it.
I have suggested to the Manager that they should seriously consider 2 compressors as back-up, and I believe
they will do so in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom