Aging eyes, suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Presbyopia (old age loss of accomidation or loss of near vision with age due to increasing lens stiffness and weaker muscles) is what you are referring to. It come to practically everyone as they age and affects different people at different ages. Nearsighten individuals are usually the first to have the issue. I am 56 and have had this issue for the last 5 years. I use the little stick on diopters (Diveoptiks?) that you place in the bottom half of your mask to be able to read my gauges. No contacts or other lenses as I am 20/20 otherwise. They are available at your local dive shop, Leisurepro, Amazon, etc.

They don't appear work with prescriptions (contact or lens). I also have two different prescriptions, one for each eye. This looks like a great solution for people who need readers.

I could find you a place you can send in any mask. There is one out in CA that does it. You can even get line-less bifocals. I would have to look for the name of the place. I could find it if you want, just let me know if you want it.

I would very much like to know the name of that place, thanks!!

I will have to dig it up when I get home this evening. I will post it here.

I spoke to them at a dive show last year. They said they could even put the lenses in my Datamask, the glass on them is rather odd shaped.

I would very much like to know the name of that place, thanks!!

This guy is great...

Third generation company, founded in 1936, started making prescription masks in 1959, Greg is the grandson of the founder, terrific customer service:

Prescription Dive Masks

I am pretty sure the one that KevWind just posted is the one I talked to.

I have presbyopia, and especially at night, I just flat-out could not read my computer. Topside, I had contacts, reading glasses for contacts, close-up reading glasses for detail work, regular eyeglasses, and prescription readers. I had a Sea Vision mask with the ground-in -2.0 diopters, and I tried those stick in magnifiers.

I switched to monovision contacts. No more readers. No more Sea Vision mask. No more trouble reading gauges in ANY lighting, or lack-of-lighting. Sometimes late at night, I do use a pair of -1.25 reading glasses. When I was a kid, I had a mask with lenses in it, and that was a real PITA. So good luck with your quest.

i only need correction for close-up. Medium and distance is fine. So, I don't want to mess with contacts and would rather have a prescription mask,. The stick-on diopters are OK bu not too clear so I want something better especially searcing for macro critters. I wlll look at those three operations.

Thanks, everyone, who posted those!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom