Aging eyes, suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been noticing some aging with my eyes however my x1 set to large/bright display works great! It's a bit expensive but mine has been great.

I have the Xen and the Petrel and I love them both. If I could only get one, in all honesty, it would be the petrel... It runs up to five gases OC, CC, or gauge mode. The batteries are great. It's awesome. And of course both of them are super easy to read. I think I've talked all my friends who did not have one before me, into getting one!

Multifocal contacts fixed this problem for me, plus I can see more stuff underwater (as well as above).

3/4 see-unders works great for 51 year old eyes that have always been nearsighted, but can't focus closely any more through a distance prescription:

MAR_diving_069.jpg

The Petrel seems to be pretty good for all ages...

MER_petrel.jpg

I'm 53 and I opted to use contact lens while diving. I looked at all the solutions including special mask and diopters. Overall, contacts were the best choice for me as I could read my gauges again and, as a bonus, see more stuff under the ocean. Contacts give you better field of vision than other choices which I felt was very important.

I have this issue with either contacts or prescription mask. Its my distance prescription actually causes my close up focus to be out of focus in low light and with small screens that aren't LCD.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

If you can't read your instruments how can you see small details that makes diving so interesting? Bifocal prescription lenses bonded to your mask suck less than missing observing small critters.

It's not "that bad" I can see small things easily after 24". Under 24" and it's fuzzy but I see colors. It's worse in low light or complete dark.

Well, I will get blasted for this but, I really like using my Oceanic Datamask. It works perfectly for my +/-60 year old eyes. The display is right there and I don't know of anyone who can't read it. Maybe there is.

If your that nearsighted, why not a prescription mask with the prescription limited to the top half?

Luckily, my arms are still long enough under water, but on land, I can no longer use my bifocals for close work. Many times I find myself taking my glasses off to read fine print or do intricate tasks.

Of course, if your trying to talk yourself into a new computer, carry on. :D

Valid point, but I don't want bifocal 'anything' until I absolutely have too. There is always lasik....:wink:

---------- Post added December 16th, 2013 at 06:26 PM ----------

Well, I will get blasted for this but, I really like using my Oceanic Datamask. It works perfectly for my +/-60 year old eyes. The display is right there and I don't know of anyone who can't read it. Maybe there is.

I thought about this as a solution, but I'd have to try one for a 1/2 dozen dives before I'd head down that road. I think I need to dive the Petrel and the the Kaon/Lynx back to back and see which one is easier to see and and manipulate the features.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2013 at 06:27 PM ----------

3/4 see-unders works great for 51 year old eyes that have always been nearsighted, but can't focus closely any more through a distance prescription:

The Petrel seems to be pretty good for all ages...

View attachment 173494

Thanks, cute kid.

Presbyopia (old age loss of accomidation or loss of near vision with age due to increasing lens stiffness and weaker muscles) is what you are referring to. It come to practically everyone as they age and affects different people at different ages. Nearsighten individuals are usually the first to have the issue. I am 56 and have had this issue for the last 5 years. I use the little stick on diopters (Diveoptiks?) that you place in the bottom half of your mask to be able to read my gauges. No contacts or other lenses as I am 20/20 otherwise. They are available at your local dive shop, Leisurepro, Amazon, etc.

You will find a LOT of Petrel fans out there. I think (one) objection to a datamask is that masks tend to get lost fairly easily. At any rate, I dp have gauge readers on my mask - not the half mask bifocals but small gauge reader half moons - but they are still not good enough combined for reading a computer unless it's OLED or LED. My arms are just too short. :D

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - ES130 Mask

Could be, I haven't lost mine, I still like it!:D I am still looking for a lanyard that might help with that. Though I am careful and use my head when I wear it.:rofl3:
You will find a LOT of Petrel fans out there. I think (one) objection to a datamask is that masks tend to get lost fairly easily. At any rate, I dp have gauge readers on my mask - not the half mask bifocals but small gauge reader half moons - but they are still not good enough combined for reading a computer unless it's OLED or LED. My arms are just too short. :D

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - ES130 Mask

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom