Aging eyes, suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

0002s

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My nearsighted prescription has finally caused me to have issues reading my Aladin 2G up close. I have to hold it out so far in front of me to clearly read it quickly that it is becoming a PITA. My prescription mask or using contacts doesn't make a difference. The issue is compounded by low visibility or low light. I have removed the plexiglass cover and added a screen protector which helps in daylight but really does noting to help when backlit.

I have decided to keep it as a back up and purchase a new computer. I have spent over a month looking at all the different manufactures and models. i am starting to have paralysis from analysis. I tried an X1 on a few dives and could see it, but am not sold on it. At least I know that type of display is "ok". Lastly, $ is not a concern although I do not want to waste money on gadgets that answer questions I wasn't asking.

I am looking for anybody that has the same issues I have, what unit they used and what features they like.

I have come to the conclusion that these features are the most important to me:

1. I must be able to see the display easily on my wrist
2. The unit must have a good track record of reliability and not overly conservative
3. Must be wrist mount

These are the secondary features I'd "like" to have if the unit meets the first three:

1. Easily can transfer data to OSX computer, preferably wireless or bluetooth and no "funky" windows based work around.
2. Rechargeable battery and user changed battery or disposable battery
3. Wireless AI that's fairly reliable (really this is the last on my list but if I'm going to upgrade this would be a nice feature to uses with the data log to the computer)

I am sure I will not find everything I need + all my "wants" in one unit (or I wouldn't be asking these questions) but hearing others real experiences should help me in my decision.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely go colour, I did and it made the world of difference. Shearwater, Liquivision, Atomic, Mares and Heinrichs Weikamp all make
colour comps. They all come at a price though. Personally I'd look at Shearwater, Heinrichs Weikamp or Atomic because all offer exemplary customer service.

Rugged Dive Computers for Technical Divers | Shearwater Research ? Shearwater ResearchShearwater Research

Atomic Aquatics Products

heinrichsweikamp

Liquivision

---------- Post added December 16th, 2013 at 09:21 AM ----------

Re reading your post I'd go with a Shearwater Petrel, just did actually. Seems to tick most of your boxes. It's not AI though.

The ShearWater Petrel is exactly what the doctor ordered is price is no object. It uses a regular AA battery, although it's much happier with a Saft 3.3 volt, if you don't happen to have a spare in someplace like Grenada, you can use AA's which will last a few dives. It has a large screen easy on the eyes, big buttons to change the display on the fly, and any piece of information you may want. The Predator is also nice, and a used one is about 1/2 the price of the Petrel, but the battery is only the Saft 3.3, which you can't get in too many places, Grenada specifically is one of those places. :D

I'm 53 and I opted to use contact lens while diving. I looked at all the solutions including special mask and diopters. Overall, contacts were the best choice for me as I could read my gauges again and, as a bonus, see more stuff under the ocean. Contacts give you better field of vision than other choices which I felt was very important.

Aging eyes need plenty of light. The bright display of the Predator does that for me. I understand that the Petrel is similar but I have not tried one.

Aging eyes need plenty of light. The bright display of the Predator does that for me. I understand that the Petrel is similar but I have not tried one.
I tried both and, for me (and for my old eyes with contact lenses) the Predator was much better.

My primary is a Galileo Sol in "Light Display" mode .... the main indicators (depth, time) are gigantic!

Alberto (aka eDiver)

If you can't read your instruments how can you see small details that makes diving so interesting? Bifocal prescription lenses bonded to your mask suck less than missing observing small critters.

I can't hardly see anything within 3 feet of me. That doesn't mean I can't see a pygmy seahorse 10 feet away..... I can also see when the readout on my predator turns from green to orange, signifying that I am 3 minutes to a NDL.

The newer Liquivision computers are also color -- Xen, Xeo and Lynx. They're very easy to read.

I love my X1, but I wouldn't push a purely recreational diver toward that particular unit.

If your that nearsighted, why not a prescription mask with the prescription limited to the top half?

Luckily, my arms are still long enough under water, but on land, I can no longer use my bifocals for close work. Many times I find myself taking my glasses off to read fine print or do intricate tasks.

Of course, if your trying to talk yourself into a new computer, carry on. :D

Back
Top Bottom