Agency comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn:
I have seen a lot of misinformation spewed out in these forums in anger.

One of the biggest mistakes is to make the hasty generalization fallacy. It goes like this. "I had a bad experience with a specific instructor from [whatever agency]. Therefore that entire agency must suck."

Take anything you read here with enormous quantities of salt grains.
Words of wisdom on a seriously over-done topic.

Putting on my turn-out gear and sitting back to watch. :coffee:

The simplistic answer is to go with the dominant agency in your area. But, no matter where, find a good instructor for each class level.

abysmaldiver:
Hey divedoggie, tell your friend he can start padi dm with as little as 20 dives. He has to have the 60 by the time he finishes to get the cert.

How could it be? Maybe, PADI said it is ok though.... How does his instructor think he is ready? He might be a darn exllent fish though......

I think the certification from most rec. agency is a factory work to make revenue nowadays.

Can we factor in NASE and HSAI on these polls...As an Instructor, I 'm super happy with these agencies.

Joe

cudachaser,
I've seen you post a few times about NASE. I am getting ready to start training with an independent NASE instructor and can't wait. The only thing that bothers me about NASE and possibly the reason it is such a small cert. agency is that it is difficult to find information on instructors or facilities that support NASE. I was fortunate that I found this guy by word of mouth, I guess that is the only way. In contrast you can go to PADI.com or NAUI.com and find independent instructors or facilities in your local area or within a certain radius.

I'll tell my buddy to start the class, although he may not finish for a year!

PADI requires advanced open water as a prerequisite for Rescue Diver. Although I didn't take the class until I had over 100 dives. Most of the students in the class had 50 to 100 dives. Only one guy had too few dives to continue on to DM, but it looks like he can at least get started.

I know for a fact that to be a SSI Advanced Open Water diver you must log 24 dives and have 4 specilities (which requires 2 dives per specility, but you can combine some dives together). It is my understanding that with PADI you can be an "Advanced Open Water diver with as few as 9 dives??? IMO 9 dives does not make you any more than an open water diver with a couple extra dives... Ok I have a nomex suit on!

Entry level diving is not rocket science. Just a few psychomotor skills and a bit of simple school physics.
To turn that into a good diver requires three things. Firstly aptitude and application by the student. Let's face it, some people are just not cut out for this and some are naturals. Secondly the instructor. Just like you had teachers who taught you well at school and others who didn't. Thirdly (and last) the agency who set the syllabus and provide the educational materials. There are minor syllabus differences between the agencies but bigger differences in the quality of the educational materials. Basically PADI are the biggest so have been able to invest the most money into this area.
Another PADI benefit is that their qualifications are the most recognised worldwide. Try taking a YMCA C card to France!!

Bruciebabe:
Try taking a YMCA C card to France!!
No shortage of grief in the past if you arrived in France with just a PADI card. But there is now an agreement in effect to at least set a groundwork for a PADI certified diver to enroll in a CMAS course, or vice versa. See this document from the CMAS website. So at least there is some level of mutual recognition.

Technically, you might get a bit of grief with only a YMCA card.

I'm sure others can verify this, but I believe that YMCA still has a long standing arrangement with CMAS. See this thread. A matter of a little bit of paperwork and you can arrive in France with a CMAS card to go with your YMCA card... no further training required. Of course there is the small matter of a fee for the paperwork. :wink:

Walter, or anyone, able to verify this is still current?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom