Agency bashing... what is it and why we don't allow it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the one agency I am familiar with specifically prohibits agency bashing if you are a professional member

Even many non profits are all about maximizing wealth. I’m from the DC area which is full of “non-profits” and I guarantee you that they are very concerned with the bottom line.
And if people knew how money was spent by some non profits, some donors would not be pleased.

Some people consider pointing out differences as bashing. Shrug

Theres a lot of differences between agencies. On the positive side, I like how RAID requires skills to ultimately be perforned NB/T and allow cameras to be used in open water by the instructor.

So, just to clarify, if I read on Undercurrent that PADI is not giving fee discounts during the pandemic, I can say that I am disappointed or don't like it, but I can't say that they suck. And then if I am corrected, I should not repeat the refuted facts? That's a perfectly reasonable line, just making sure I understand it.

Facts are always acceptable.

When it's portrayed as the driving force behind an agency, sure. That's just an attempt to be disparaging, and that's what we're trying to avoid.

We are a passionate group. Some are overly passionate about agencies they either like or hate. Unfortunately, while some enjoy these popcorn moments, the vitriol is almost always counterproductive and devolves into bicker battles. It makes it hard for outsiders to follow the discussion and makes us less relevant.
In that case, let me disparage my own business. I'm in it for the money.

So, just to clarify, if I read on Undercurrent that PADI is not giving fee discounts during the pandemic, I can say that I am disappointed or don't like it, but I can't say that they suck.
To be clear: your opinions about specific policies are fine. Wholesale disparagement is discouraged. You were expecting some concessions and they didn't happen? Of course, you should talk about that. Just don't use every chance you can to beat us over the head with it.

Yes, some instructors view ANY criticism about their agency as agency bashing. One has deemed me to be "dishonest", I guess because I allow criticisms of his agency which he sees as nothing but agency bashing.

Let's face it, some come here to fight (debate). Their ego seems to love the acrimony they cause and they'll argue just for the sake of argument. They'll get you so pissed off and pull you right into their bicker battles. Of course, they'll blame you for the conflagration. They don't impress me much.

Most of us are here to shake things out (discuss). I've been corrected dozens of times and I love it. No, I don't always agree with the corrections, but the discussions help me to understand diving and teaching a lot better. If nothing else, it helps me to articulate my positions better. It's much nicer this way and why I came up with "Dive and let dive!"

Is this limited to training agencies?
No, it's not. It's my opinion that those who want to fight account for most of the disparaging remarks and tend to ostracize users, agencies. and manufacturers. Those who prefer discussions, are more inclusive and pull people into their conversations. Either way, if you like or don't like something about an agency or piece of gear and post it here, you can be sure they'll hear about it. Reasonable comments will attract them to chime and and bashing will send them running. We've chased a number of manufacturers off of SB. Few of the bashers ever see themselves as the problem.

Isn't that the nature of every business outside of nonprofits? Especially businesses who are publicly traded and have a board of directors who require profits from their executives.
It is, and disparaging a business for making a profit is pretty sad. We're better than that.

It is, and disparaging a business for making a profit is pretty sad. We're better than that.
Maybe those who disparage businesses for making a profit should work for free? Let's see how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom