Age 10 Seems Too Young for Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie-----it's all about the george.......

If you stop & think about it, there HAS to be a minimum age , somewhere......unless they're gunna let them(down the road) certify 'em in their diapers.....:)

I wouldn't want to have a ten year old as a dive buddy, I don't care how " mature " for their age they are. But I love the idea of getting the young ones in the water and getting them interested in the oceans, the animals, and the earth. If diving is a vessel for that then great! I'd love to see my kids do a bubblemaker class or equivalent when they get older. Then if they seem to be comfortable doing what they need to do then getting a dive card would be the next step, but at the same time, why rush it? Then again if they can then why not? I guess the answer is a simple one, it depends.

Now if I could only get my six year old to stop screaming shark when a little fish swims by.:D She gets it from her mom I think.

You don't want a ten year old as a dive buddy, but you want them diving?:confused:
Or did I get something wrong?:idk:
Sounds like wash me, but don't get me wet.:wink:

And I never said: Have them out of the water!
Reverse, I want them to swim as soon as possible, later on they may snorkel as much as they want. I want them interested in the oceans, the animals and the earth as well. But IMHO scuba gear is not a toy and scuba diving is not a game for children!

May be there are some (let's say) twelve years old, who are able to drive a car. I am sure they really would like it, but would you like them to have a drivers licence?:confused:

You don't want a ten year old as a dive buddy, but you want them diving?:confused:
Or did I get something wrong?:idk:
Sounds like wash me, but don't get me wet.:wink:

And I never said: Have them out of the water!
Reverse, I want them to swim as soon as possible, later on they may snorkel as much as they want. I want them interested in the oceans, the animals and the earth as well. But IMHO scuba gear is not a toy and scuba diving is not a game for children!

May be there are some (let's say) twelve years old, who are able to drive a car. I am sure they really would like it, but would you like them to have a drivers licence?:confused:

It is confusing I admit. I've never been an internet orator. Diving yes, diving in a two person team, no. Two adults, one child would be ok.

As far as SCUBA not being a toy I'd agree. To make a apple to oranges comparison I'd say neither is a dirtbike, but I've had 8 year olds looking down on me going over tabletops, so kids are capable creatures.

I hope you agree as well, that diving is taking part in a potential life hostile environment. So perhaps another comparison fits more in your eyes. Would you have your ten years old jumping out of a flying airplane without any emergency?

I never did parachuting myself, therefore I estimate it as technical not more challenging than scuba diving.
Or what's about paragliding?

I guess your kids would both call big fun as well.

Last edited:
I hope you agree as well, that diving is taking part in a potential life hostile environment. So perhaps another comparison fits more in your eyes. Would you have your ten years old jumping out of a flying airplane without any emergency?

I never did parachuting myself, therefore I estimate it as technical not more challenging than scuba diving.
Or what's about paragliding?

I guess your kids would both call big fun as well.

I'm in the it depends camp. People can't fly, but can swim. I wouldn't want to dive with a child in the open ocean, but a dive in cove to 15 or 20 feet with another adult sure. But it all depends on the kid.

A 10 year old could probably learn to sky dive, or paraglide. I wouldn't let my kids do it but if someone else wants their kids to have a shot then go for it. Some parents wouldn't let their kids ride a dirtbike or a 4 wheeler or a horse, but I would. It just depends.

I'm in the it depends camp. People can't fly, but can swim. I wouldn't want to dive with a child in the open ocean, but a dive in cove to 15 or 20 feet with another adult sure. But it all depends on the kid.

A 10 year old could probably learn to sky dive, or paraglide. I wouldn't let my kids do it but if someone else wants their kids to have a shot then go for it. Some parents wouldn't let their kids ride a dirtbike or a 4 wheeler or a horse, but I would. It just depends.

It also depends on if you do something with your childs yourself, or if you want to burden someone else, i.e. an instructor, with the responsibility for your childs life!

It also depends on if you do something with your childs yourself, or if you want to burden someone else, i.e. an instructor, with the responsibility for your childs life!

I agree completely.

LOL, Dumpster, you just KNEW I was going to bite on this thread didn't you? Man, when I get down to Florida next time, I so gotta go diving with you on that boat!...

Yeah give me some warning and we can do that,,, :D:D

I'm 14 and was certified in Monterey and my instructor would not allow a 40 year old and his kid train because they were not ready. 3 people in my class had to retake open water because they didn't demonstrate the skills adequately. I think if a kid is mature enough and strong enough they should be allowed to dive. I don't think they should dive if they act like 5 year old and can't carry their gear to the beach or fight a current they shouldn't be diving. My 2 psi.

I agree with earlier comments that perhaps 2 adults and 1 child is a good "buddy-combination". Depending on the child he/she could have the right attitude/mental maturity. BUT I would rather not have them as my only buddy (even if they have hundreds of dives), because I'm not sure if a child has the physical strength to get me to the surface should anything go seriously wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom