After DirF: Cave 1 or Tech 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOXA

Registered
Reaction score
As a DIR fundi I want to take the next step, but I can't make up my mind: Tech 1 or Cave 1.

Cave 1 is very interesting but where I dive (the Netherlands) there are no caves and always cave diving during my holidays is no option (if I want to stay married).

Tech 1 might pose a problem too. The water around here is not that deep, usually around 30 metres. At that depth there is a lot of sand and nothing more. However, once in a while I dive the North Sea and at 30 metres there are wrecks arond. So I can practise these skills.

Does anybody know a solution?

Thnx,
D.

My preference would be Tech1. There are many more wrecks than caves.

Plus, you're expected to do 25 Tech1-level dives after certification. You can do them locally. AFAIK, Tech1 doesn't mean you have to go beyond recreational limits as far as depth is concerned, a deco dive would also qualify as a Tech1-level dive. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Laurens

El Orans:
My preference would be Tech1. There are many more wrecks than caves.

Plus, you're expected to do 25 Tech1-level dives after certification. You can do them locally. AFAIK, Tech1 doesn't mean you have to go beyond recreational limits as far as depth is concerned, a deco dive would also qualify as a Tech1-level dive. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Laurens

So there is no minumum depth limit for a TECH 1 dive? Duration is the only criterium?

D.

Course Limits
General Training Limits as outlined in Section 1.4
Student to instructor ratio is not to exceed 3:1 during any in-water training
Maximum depth 150 feet (+/- 10 feet)/45 meters (+/- 3 meters)
No overhead environment diving (excepting decompression)

Course Content
The GUE Tech 1 course is normally conducted over a 5-day period, and cumulatively involves a minimum of forty (40) hours of instruction designed to provide a working knowledge of enriched air diving, normoxic and hyperoxic Trimix and decompression mixtures, including history, physics, physiology, tables, and operational considerations.

Course requirements include ten (10) hours of academics and eight (8) dives, six (6) of which will be critical skill dives and two (2) will be experience dives.

Initial dives will be conducted in shallow water to test diver ability and to fill in any deficits in skill levels. The last two (2) dives are to be Trimix dives at depth for experience.

More info on: http://www.gue.com/classroom/tech1.shtml

I'd have to agree with Laurens, Tech I would make more *practical* sense, but as with any GUE course, I'm sure you'd learn a lot.

I dunno, around here I might opt for the cave class... instead of seeing new wrecks deeper and maybe a bit longer, I'd like to get in a lot of the ones I've seen already :wink:

Question about GUE and Tech 1.....say I take the Tech 1 course, am I now qualified to dive on Trimix and get fills?

El Orans:
Course Limits
General Training Limits as outlined in Section 1.4
Student to instructor ratio is not to exceed 3:1 during any in-water training
Maximum depth 150 feet (+/- 10 feet)/45 meters (+/- 3 meters)
No overhead environment diving (excepting decompression)

Course Content
The GUE Tech 1 course is normally conducted over a 5-day period, and cumulatively involves a minimum of forty (40) hours of instruction designed to provide a working knowledge of enriched air diving, normoxic and hyperoxic Trimix and decompression mixtures, including history, physics, physiology, tables, and operational considerations.

Course requirements include ten (10) hours of academics and eight (8) dives, six (6) of which will be critical skill dives and two (2) will be experience dives.

Initial dives will be conducted in shallow water to test diver ability and to fill in any deficits in skill levels. The last two (2) dives are to be Trimix dives at depth for experience.

More info on: http://www.gue.com/classroom/tech1.shtml

El Orans,

Your link doesn't tell me what the minimal requirements are for Tech-1 dives after certification. Just using multiple gases during a dive doesn't seem to be enough to me.

Does anybody know?

D.

DOXA:
El Orans,

Your link doesn't tell me what the minimal requirements are for Tech-1 dives after certification. Just using multiple gases during a dive doesn't seem to be enough to me.

Does anybody know?

D.
You may want to send a PM to BCS or MHK, both are GUE instructors.

Laurens

I opted for Tech1 since it's what I would get more use out of. I will take Cave1, but I use my Tech1 training just about every dive so it was a good choice for me. Also, you don't need to go deep to do a "Tech1" dive. We do a lot of dives that are in the 100' range but we may stay for 45-50 minutes just exploring new spots that we've never seen before. Remember, it's not just about the depth, but the Tech1 class will just add a whole new set of tools that you can use in your diving....even in the recreational ranges. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom