After DirF: Cave 1 or Tech 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
1. DIR-F or Tech-1?
2. With the instructor expenses or without?
3. Gas included or not?

I paid EUR 425 last month for DIR-F. The instructor's expenses were included apart from his dinners.
Gas was not included.

Laurens

UnixSage:
Since you seem to have all the data please share with us at what ever granular level you have. I should be able to add them for my self.

Thanks

Well, the approx prices I have are for Croatia. You can expect different prices in States, depending on number of students, instructor etc.

DIR-F €350 + instructor expenses shared between class (up to 6 students)
Tech-1 €750 + instructor expenses shared between class (up to 3 students) + gas

Thanks for the ballpark numbers... Considering the value that they seem to have I am impressed with the cost. Dont know what air costs but that is a part of the program. In my professional life (non-diving) I have definately paid more and got much less out of it. Every comment/report I see is glowing about the content and the instructors so that I think is really cool.

Thanks

Hey DOXA, why not consider taking the Recreational TriOx class? That gives you some additional training, is cheaper then full Tech 1 and certifies you for 30 / 30 TriOx, with a MOD of 120'.

From my understanding you can do two different TriOx classes, one is strictly Recreational TriOx and one is Tech 1 part 1. The difference is slight (for Tech 1 part 1 they use an air gun to simulate manifold malfunctions instead of hand signals and they do a little line work with the reel). I would suggest the Tech 1 Part 1 since you can apply it to Tech 1 later if you like. Some recommend doing Tech 1 Part 1 then taking the complete Tech 1 class later.

BTW, the price of Tech 1 is right about 800 / 850 US plus instructor gas / boats if required. Recreational TriOx is right about 450.00 plus instructor gas / boats if required.

The Natural, with a Tech 1 Card you can get the following gasses:

Trimix
Nitrox to 99%
100% O2

With Rec TriOx you get:

TriOx
Nitrox (to 40% I believe)

Mark

Mark,

While speaking w/ a number of GUE instructors, I have found out that while you can do the Rectriox course as a Tech 1 part 1, in reality it doesn't work that way. Because every class and every instructor have different schedules, chances are that trying to come into a Tech 1 class halfway thru will either put you at serious disadvantage, or not mesh at all.

mweitz:
Hey DOXA, why not consider taking the Recreational TriOx class? That gives you some additional training, is cheaper then full Tech 1 and certifies you for 30 / 30 TriOx, with a MOD of 120'.

From my understanding you can do two different TriOx classes, one is strictly Recreational TriOx and one is Tech 1 part 1. The difference is slight (for Tech 1 part 1 they use an air gun to simulate manifold malfunctions instead of hand signals and they do a little line work with the reel). I would suggest the Tech 1 Part 1 since you can apply it to Tech 1 later if you like. Some recommend doing Tech 1 Part 1 then taking the complete Tech 1 class later.

BTW, the price of Tech 1 is right about 800 / 850 US plus instructor gas / boats if required. Recreational TriOx is right about 450.00 plus instructor gas / boats if required.

The Natural, with a Tech 1 Card you can get the following gasses:

Trimix
Nitrox to 99%
100% O2

With Rec TriOx you get:

TriOx

Mark

with a Tech 1 Card you can get the following gasses:
Trimix
Nitrox to 99%
100% O2

With Rec TriOx you get:

TriOx
I thought Trimix and TriOx were the same thing? Or is the difference the percent O2?

UnixSage:
I thought Trimix and TriOx were the same thing? Or is the difference the percent O2?

Well, yes, sort of!

Trimix is a pretty generic term. Triox is meant as a helium based mix with O2 at 21 percent or higher. Trimix is generally thought of as a helium base mix with O2 less than 21 percent.

Depends on the instructor and the team. Some people schedule them both at the same time. I have seen Tech 1 part 1 and Tech 1 part two scheduled.

So in reality, it can work that way.

Mark

detroit diver:
Mark,

While speaking w/ a number of GUE instructors, I have found out that while you can do the Rectriox course as a Tech 1 part 1, in reality it doesn't work that way. Because every class and every instructor have different schedules, chances are that trying to come into a Tech 1 class halfway thru will either put you at serious disadvantage, or not mesh at all.

nitrox is nitrogen plus hyperoxic O2 (EAN32)
heliox is helium plus hyperoxic O2 (50/50)
triox is trimix (N2 and He) plus hyperoxic O2 (30/30)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom