After a rescue diving course, what are the job opportunities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Retail sales in a dive shop.
Medical doctor, if you also have a degree in medicine.
Attorney, if you've also passed your bar exams.
etc.

You might be able to help out with a OW course but usually getting "paid" to dive is reserved to DM or higher although you might be ablr to find some work cleaning up boat hulls, seafood gathering, etc. But those occupations don't necessarily require a rescue diver cert.

You are not considered a professional until Divemaster.

katnel:
I had never considered it before but reading some of the posts made me curious.

Software engineer is nice.

Terry

Falco:
You might be able to help out with a OW course but usually getting "paid" to dive is reserved to DM or higher although you might be ablr to find some work cleaning up boat hulls, seafood gathering, etc. But those occupations don't necessarily require a rescue diver cert.

Rescue Diver is not a professional level certification. While I agree that it is a great course and everyone should certify through at least rescue...it does not come close to qualifying anyone to be a true rescue diver as a profession. Much more training would be required.

As for helping out with a course...not unless the Instructor wants a standards violation on his record....or worse the liability issues if there were a diving accident/incident. Rescue divers are not qualified/approved teaching assistants. I use the term qualified loosely because of course some ARE qualified, but not "qualified" from a standards or liability perspective.

I was under the impression that anyone could help with an OW class as long as there is an instructor present who is monitoring that person... Maybe I've been misinformed.

chrispete:
I was under the impression that anyone could help with an OW class as long as there is an instructor present who is monitoring that person... Maybe I've been misinformed.

Anyone can lug gear etc., but, you have to be a professional (ie DM or higher) to work with the students or do demostrations. So in my understanding you can help with the class but only as a gopher. :D

Chad

McDonalds is always hiring :)

About the same job oportunities that are offered after taking a drivers education class.

Back
Top Bottom