Aerolito de Paraiso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Sharpe

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Did day 1 (first 2 checkout dives) of our cavern course with German Yanez @ Aerolito de Paraiso today,

Lots to learn,practice & remember in the course (line management, communications, gear configuration etc etc) but what a blast. My only previous cavern exposure was El Dudu in Cabarete DR but Aerolito de Paraiso just blew me away.

The checkout dives started off well with me falling, fully clothed, into the spring when I slipped on a mossy rock while wetting my cam bands. The only injury was to my dignity.:dork2:

Following our gear & bubble check I got to be the "reel" man & we went in as far as the crocodile skull about 200 ft in. 2nd dive I followed & had more time to actually look around (we only went as far as tying off to the permanent line).

Buoyancy & trim need lots of work as does my frog kick but I can see the Intro to Cave course in my future......

WOW supprized to read the post. It just so happens that me and a friend are going this April to do the cavern cert with German. Sounds like a great guy. Is there anything you could tell me that I need to know? I can hardly sleep and can't wait to jump in.

You're going to love it. German is a really good, patient instructor.

One thing I would recommend is (if you're going the TDI route) getting a copy of the TDI manual on overhead environments. It's worth reading (I got mine after the course).

If you have time to do some diving before heading down to Cozumel work on buoyancy & propulsion techniques and, if you're taking your own gear (and haven't done so already) install a long hose for your primary - you'll be doing OOA drills in the cavern and it's much easier with a long hose.

We went in November and I found that my 3mil full suit was a little cool on the 2nd dive - I ended up wearing my 2mil shortie underneath.

Make sure he takes you for shrimp tacos at least one of the days (a nice change form the bland food @ the resort) and have fun.

See if you can pick up a back kick before you go. German had us do "death by back kick" several times. (We had to swim a square pattern backwards, with helicopter turns at each corner, and stay at the same depth. My legs got VERY tired!)

OK you guys, just got back Sunday and it was everything if not more than I expected. I dove the cenotes on the mainland the last couple years but Aerolito was pretty cool. I failed the back kick only moved backwards an inch, but we both passed and are now trying to schedule for cave 2. The shrimp tacos were great too. When German had us share gas on the line with our masks off he jumped ahead and extended the line and moved it, I knew where the line was, but we kept feeling and following the line like he taught us and ended at the two main tie offs. I mentioned it to him and he just smerked. Fun guy but he is ALL business in the water. I would recommend him to anyone that wants to do cave. Learned alot and now like you said time to practice. Oh and by the way we did a Mexican commercial with German to promote cave diving, can't wait to see the video.

Thanks for the responces

Tom Judge

Tom,

Did they ever post the commercial on the internet? And if I was interested in taking a class with German, how could I contact him?

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

---------- Post added January 23rd, 2013 at 01:52 PM ----------

Tom,

Did they ever post the commercial on the internet? And if I was interested in taking a class with German, how could I contact him?

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

Is this the correct link to German?

Germán Yañez

Yes, that's German's new website. He used to be Yucatech.

Thank you Ma'am...I greatly appreciate your input. :)

I have booked marked him in my favorites...now to get with BoulderJohn and start my technical training.

WOW! I guess its been awhile since I visited this site. I haven't heard or seen anything on the commercial but I am heading to Cozumel at the end of February. I will contact German and see what I can find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom