Aeris, Mares or Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
I want to buy my first Dive computer. I have it narrowed down to the Aeris Atmos 2, the Mares M1, or the Suunto Vyper. Anyone have any recommendations on which one to get and why?

Thanks in advance

I am looking at the same models as you. I am leaning towards the Atmos 2 because of the price. I also like that the user can change the batteries. I do like the Suunto. They make high quality gear. But at around $250 the Atmos 2 is a deal. The Suunto is about $50 more.

What's 50 bucks if it's the gear you really want and you have confidence in the mfg. I also dive Suunto and love it. There's not enough price difference to "settle".......IMO

for whats it's wroth, my suunto vyper arrived yesterday...just in time for my first night dive on saturday night...

so i thought it was worth the 50 more...slightly ironic, i never saw a reply to my original message until after i got my suunto:)

thanks to 5615mike for his pm though!!!

Have a great ND on Sat. You'll enjoy your new rig.

Planning to buy one as well, but these are my alternatives:
- Suunto: Stinger or Mosquito
- Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra (only disadvantage is that it doesn't display water temperature)
- Mares M1: several people recommended me to refrain from buying this!!!

Would appreciate feedback.... of people having the Suunto or Uwatec

many thanks

edwin

2 years ago I purchased a Mares dive computer and was very disappointed. It was very very heavy and I found the user interface very confusing. I returned it after 2 days and got an Aeris 300G console (which has the Atmos 1 inside) and can recommend this to anyone.

It is very light, very easy to read and use above and below the water. What I also like about the console is the integrated light in the SPG: it is great for night or dark water diving.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I have the Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra console mounted. My buddy has the SUUNTO Vyper, console mounted. I'm not a fan of the console mount.

As a novice diver, I'm not sure I like the Uwatec. Don't get me wrong. It works as it should, but it annoys me that it has less features than the competition. Scubapro didn't bother to put a clock, max depth alarms, or a temp guage - which are basic features on the Vyper. It seems pretty stupid to me that the Uwatec is suppose to have dive tables which take in account of the temp of the water, but doesn't bother to display it! I also don't like the fact that I can't simulate a multilevel dive before I get wet. At least, I haven't figured out how to do it yet. (My LDS which sold me it doesn't know how to use it either.) I'm also not a big fan of the "cover" which is suppose to protect the guage. I'm not sure why we need to be able to flip it up.

My buddy's Vyper, however, has been easy to figure out and I find myself looking at my buddy's computer more often than my own. The Vyper also works in gauge only mode and the battery is user replacable. (I think Uwatec replaces the battery if it ever dies.) If I were to buy my computer over I'd probably get a wrist mounted Vyper simply because the alarms are difficult to hear when the computer is attached to the console.

I couldn't be more pleased. I spent the $100 for the software, too, which is also very good.

The two together give me a plethora of information which I can use to diagnose my dive later on... And learn. It's been a very valuable tool for this job.

I highly recommend it.

The Stinger is an awesome piece of equipment... But the unit must be sent back to the factory every time a battery needs replacement. The Mosquito is also very nice, but for a little less money you get better readability and more features with the Vyper. I've also heard of the Mosquito having a glitch here and there in their software.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely buy the same thing... My Vyper. Highly recommended, and excellent for beginners as well as the most technical diver out there.

By the way... If price is a consideration, check http://www.ass.com.sg/ (no, that's not a typo.) That's where I purchased my Vyper... From a gentleman named Eric. The customer service was the best I've seen, and the prices were downright excellent. You'll have to email him for the price, though... He won't publish it on the 'net. :)

so...after my first weekend diving with my vyper, have to say couldn't be happier..i love it...every bit of info you need right there...it's great...did a dive to 121, then a second to 104, and was very happy with the vyper...totally recommend it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom