Aeris 500ai or Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill Walton

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm finally going to buy a computer this week and have a quick question in regards to these two computers. I like them both and can get the Cobra online with compass and disconnect for around $520. The Aeris 500ai I can get right now from my LDS for about the same price because they are giving me a student discount plus a little and a free Nitrox Class which I was going to pay for anyway next week.

So the cost is the same, my decision is between cobra from online retailer or 500ai from LDS.

Would love a little input from ya'll.

Thanks,

Bill

I can't comment on the cobra, but I have the 500ai and have nothing but good things to say. The screen is very easy to read because of the large graphics and the excellent backlighting. Additionally, it's very easy to adjust the computer to various settings (PO2, audible alarms, date/time, etc.)

Just my thoughts for you.

Without a doubt..... Suunto.

The Cobra is a great computer, Aeris... well it's made by Pelagic ( a division of OCeanic) I am an oceanic fan but they need to do some work on their computers... thank god for warranties.

Or save your money and get the new Vytec from Suunto.

Both are fine computers. As long as you're happy with both, my two cents says get the Aeris. It never hurts to support your LDS. I'm not one of those guys who says buy from your LDS at all costs, regardless of cost; I've bought both locally and online. But, if you really don't prefer one computer over the other...

Oh, and I believe the Suuntos have a more conservative algorithm. Some people prefer conservative, others liberal.

My vote would be the Cobra except . . . I wouldn't buy it online. To many if's buying such an important piece of equiptment from a computer screen. If all you can get from your LDS is the Aeris then I would go with that. Is there any other dive shops in your area that might sell the Cobra ???

My husband and I both have Cobras and have had them for the past 3 years. We have logged 60 + dives each year. We love them and have no regrets for our choice. The screen is big and the computer easy to use. It has personal setting and a great download software.

The choice is yours but I would choose LDS!!

Leslie

Bill,
Im going to visit Dallas in 2 days and am looking to buy a uw camera housing (olymp PT-010) Can you tell me the name of some stores to check out and maybe their approx locations.
Beleive it or not, Puerto Rico has no camera shop much less underwater camera shops, I really want to get my hands on one instead of blindly ordering it online. Thanks
April

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom