Advice regarding Finger Reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to purchase a finger reel for use with my SMB. LDS has them for $45 (Halcyon) and I am certain those are good quality, but I see stuff on line from Dive Rite and OMS as well. I want a good quality reel and don't mind paying the price for the Halcyon, but wonder if there isn't something just as good which costs a bit less. I want the reel to be useful when I have my cold water gear on as well as the the lighter warm water kit. What advice would you folks offer?? TIA

Mark

I own 2 of dive rites large spools ( item # FX4900YELLOW) from this link Dive Rite Finger Spools

they are nicer than most spools cause the hole is large enough for big fingers with thick gloves and they are priced well compared to halcyon. the High Viz line is so nice, I prefer the orange but the yellow is still better than the white.

I just got a very clever gadget from Mike Edmonston -- I call it my "spreel" because it's a hybrid spool/reel. I've played with it on land, but haven't had a chance to use it underwater yet. It's spool-sized, with a friction drag on it, and a small handle to reel up. It has a bolt snap attached by a small nylon webbing loop, so it's cuttable in an emergency. I like it because, unlike a spool, you don't have to stretch the line to reach a side hole to control the unspooling, and the bolt snap can't come off and leave you with the spool trailing behind you and unspooling all the line . . .

I am intrigued with the spool Lynne mentioned. Sounds pretty neat.

However, I currently use the XS Scuba finger spool. Can be found at DiveSports (Phil Ellis) for about 18 bucks. I do like the high visibility of the line.

I am intrigued with the spool Lynne mentioned. Sounds pretty neat.

However, I currently use the XS Scuba finger spool. Can be found at DiveSports (Phil Ellis) for about 18 bucks. I do like the high visibility of the line.
Just took the "spreel" that Lynne mentioned on its first dive.

Incredible...

If you could make out your own wish list for a spool with the amenities of a reel, this is it...

A spool is plastic with some line wraped around it. I think you will have trouble finding a poor quality one. Mine I got real cheap from an online shop. It was advertised as a generic one, but turned out to be a name brand. I think this is because it was below MAP pricing.

I finally did get to play with my spreel in the water. I love it. It is the perfect hybrid for such things as bag shoots and short line runs.

DSS have some fine looking stainless steel finger spools in 3 different sizes, not cheap but look cool....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom