Advice re Video Setup for Socorro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyDiverOne

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lucky enough to be going to Socorro in mid-June and looking for advice/insights re my video setup. I'm shooting an RX100VA, with 2 YS-D2 strobes. I also have a GoPro 10 attached on top of the camera, and an original Kraken 5000 light attached at midpoint of float arm. Here's a pic of my rig:

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 1.34.24 PM.png

Assuming one can use lights on these dives--can someone confirm this?--I'm thinking given the nature of the subjects and distance (large pelagics etc.), I need another video light. I also think it would be better to put the video lights out with the strobes, but I'm concerned that that will make the ends too heavy to be manageable; I'll likely give it a try anyway. Finally, if I get a second Kraken, as it seems I should, I may break down and get the Kraken remote, as manipulating two sets of the buttons seems like it would be a real PITA. Any thoughts on where I could mount that?

Thanks much.

Yes you can use strobes out there, you will be floating in the blue at various depths. You will want to go as wide as possible with the strobes. The rays are massive and as you are floating out there waiting for them to come by you don't want to be messing with your lights or setup or you will miss them. I did Socorro 2 years ago on the Nautilus Explorer with my rig and didn't have a wide enough angle lens and couldn't get my lights out wide enough to capture the Rays.

Oooo tell me more, I'm going on the Explorer too. Also, sounds like all the more reason to have TWO video lights!

Thanks!!

The trip was awesome, there were Mantas just about everywhere. We only saw hammerheads a couple of times though, lots of sharks all over. Nautilus was awesome, great boat, great crew, and wonderful food. I would recommend two lights so that you can evenly light the mantas.

I would wear 5mm with thin hood. I was there in May 2021 and the water temperature was 70-76F.

“Is it warm enough to swim in Socorro Island in June? Average water temperature in Socorro Island in June is 78.1°F and therefore suitable for comfortable swimming. The warmest sea in Socorro Island in June is 82.8°F, and the coldest is 74.7°F. To find out the sea temperature today and in the coming days, go to

Thanks, Dan. Good to know.

3 mil for me no hood. You're doing up to 4 dives a day. However I have a layer of insulation to assist in my warmth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom