Advice on Rolling Dive Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwobkk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering purchasing a Aqua Lung Tropical or a Aeris Wheeled Roller Duffel. Does anyone have any experience with these bags? I need something for my upcoming trip to Bonaire and the only information I have at this point is the recent scubadiving.com review.

Thanks! :lotsalove:

I found that Dive bags are very over priced for what they do. Go get yourself a Rolling Hockey bag. They can carry alot more and serve the same purpose for a third of the cost.

... and they start out way too heavy so if you fill them you are seriously over weight. Lots of better choices that don't advertise that there is expensive dive gear inside. I only use mine for local travel where I can toss it in my car or someone elses truck. For flying I use a suitcase. Hockey bag seems like they would work too.

I use the Akona Roller backpack AKB144 and based solely on my own experience (several boat and airline trips) with it, I would recommend it to anyone. Tough, rugged and well built. I pack it with a full set of gear (7mm wetsuit, boots gloves, hood, regs, fins, two masks, knife, empty weight belt and BC plus a save a dive kit and a few other goodies) and still just under, but close to 45lbs.

I use TSA friendly zipties as locks – never a problem.

I just bought a used but looks like new Stahlsac Cozumel Cruiser bag on eBay for $145 including shipping. It's built like a brick you-know-what and, given the quality of the bag, only weighs 11 lbs. Truly made and designed to a higher level. I'm impressed with the quality. The reason I bought it is because I've seen other divers' "normal" dive bags get trashed from the airlines. The last thing I want to do is have to buy new luggage when I'm overseas. Not only can you lose what was packed in your luggage, but you now have to file with the airline, gather your gear, and spend time looking for a new bag which may not be as easy as you think on some islands.

So, buy something that will last and take the worst punishment that the airlines can dish out. Also buy something light. Some roller bags weigh so much that you will be over the weight limit even packing the bare minimum. Airlines are getting tougher with weight and size restrictions. Even if you aren't checked here in the states, wait until you get to another country to change to another airline with different weight limits. I've seen it happen.

I think there are 3 types of travelers.

The cheapskates who buys whats on sale at walmart and replace it every year. I stopped doing this 400,000 miles ago, its cost effictive but they always bust at the wrong time.

The organizer (like my wife) that packs everything it its place. She likes lots of compartments, little cubes and such. She takes 2 days to pack for a trip. The security people comment on how pretty everything looks.

Then there are duffle guys (me). I stuff everything into the roller duffle in 2 minutes. I don't care what it looks like, only that the wheels turn and the zipper is heavy duty. It packs the most gear for the given empty weight with the least amount of trouble. Of couse the security people eye me because I look like a drunk in my wrinkled clothes and I forgot my razor in my packing blitz

"I've seen other divers' "normal" dive bags get trashed from the airlines."
"take the worst punishment that the airlines can dish out."

I get really up set when peole start blaming the airlines for damaged bags. When you check into an Major Airport, your bag will travel on an maze of a conveyor belt system. This system moves at a high rate speed as it needs to move 30,000 bags per hour on avg. When travellers do not properly secure the zippers, handles and any other loose thing that hangs from the bag. These items get hung up and rip the bag from the following bag SMASHING into it. I am not saying that the odd guy doesn't rip or smash a bag, but 95% are due to the belt system. So to help yourself out, put tape on your zippers and handles and take the carry strap off and put it in the bag. These little will help keep your bag on the move.

30" rolling duffel from Wally World for $29.00.

I started out that way..... you kinda get what you pay for.

My walmart bag didn't last long. It just wasn't made well enough to hold up to airline travel. Saltwater from being under a dive boat seat didn't help it much either.

It tore apart an scattered my gear on the airline baggage claim carousel in Atlanta. I mean it tore apart. the fabric and zippers from walmart brands just won't hold up to the punishment of saltwater and airline travel.

I do agree with the above poster also that a lot of the 'dive bags' are heavy to start with and get overweight easily. (overweight for airline purposes).

I prefer the large "one pocket" roller duffel. (although mine does have a side fin pocket). That way you have one large space to put all your stuff, and also only one TSA or other lock required. The ones with all the extra outside pockets just mean stuff can get squished in it and more pockets to lock.

Back
Top Bottom