Advice on Philippines Itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never ever lose your temper no matter what. It will only make it worst. Take it easy.
Experience is definitely on the card but.....you have to be philosophical on the mentality of Pinoys and others alike.
Looking forward to your trip report.
Cheers.

Back on topic, I’m sitting in El Galleon right now waiting to do my last dive of 18 which included 2 to Verde. I’m actually not too impressed with the reefs, corals, or fish life- having just done Tubataha even Verde paled in comparison. Was in Anilao for 16 dives also and went to supposedly the best coral site Cathedral 3x and wasn’t that impressed. Coral and fish wise I felt both PG and Anilao was so so, but not too memorable. No sharks at all, didn’t see any rays either, but there were a few really really big turtles.

Where I was surprised by in PG was the quality of the macro and muck dives- wow I found more here than in Anilao! Blue ring octopus and hairy frogfish, flamboyant cuttlefish, mimic octopus, Pygmy seahorses, the only thing I did not manage to check off my list was harlequin shrimp. My last two days I hired a private guide with one other photographer and did just muck dives, and it was great. The first 3 days I dived with the group and it was just ok, it gets really crowded too with max groups of 6- and easy to get left behind with viz sometimes only 2-3m.

Back on topic, I’m sitting in El Galleon right now waiting to do my last dive of 18 which included 2 to Verde. I’m actually not too impressed with the reefs, corals, or fish life- having just done Tubataha even Verde paled in comparison. Was in Anilao for 16 dives also and went to supposedly the best coral site Cathedral 3x and wasn’t that impressed. Coral and fish wise I felt both PG and Anilao was so so, but not too memorable. No sharks at all, didn’t see any rays either, but there were a few really really big turtles.

Where I was surprised by in PG was the quality of the macro and muck dives- wow I found more here than in Anilao! Blue ring octopus and hairy frogfish, flamboyant cuttlefish, mimic octopus, Pygmy seahorses, the only thing I did not manage to check off my list was harlequin shrimp. My last two days I hired a private guide with one other photographer and did just muck dives, and it was great. The first 3 days I dived with the group and it was just ok, it gets really crowded too with max groups of 6- and easy to get left behind with viz sometimes only 2-3m.
Nothing can compare with Tubbataha in the country.
The macro in PG is not well known unless you have a good spotter and there aren't that many around.
You ought to try Southern Leyte if possible. It won't beat Tubbataha for sure but you will enjoy the diving there. Wait until the end of the yr to give it more time to recover from last typhoon damage.
SIN -CEN direct, ferry across and land connection.

Yeah for s
Nothing can compare with Tubbataha in the country.
The macro in PG is not well known unless you have a good spotter and there aren't that many around.
You ought to try Southern Leyte if possible. It won't beat Tubbataha for sure but you will enjoy the diving there. Wait until the end of the yr to give it more time to recover from last typhoon damage.
SIN -CEN direct, ferry across and land connection.

Yup for sure need a good spotter, and a group that’s willing to do muck and go slow… Maria is by far the best at El Galleon. This year in Anilao the Blue Ribbon guides weren’t quite as good as Elmar at Buceo that we had in 2019. Our last muck trip was in low season so we had Elmar be our 1:1 spotter and I’m just now realizing how much better that makes the trip.

I will have to check out South Leyte, maybe next year!

Yup for sure need a good spotter, and a group that’s willing to do muck and go slow… Maria is by far the best at El Galleon. This year in Anilao the Blue Ribbon guides weren’t quite as good as Elmar at Buceo that we had in 2019. Our last muck trip was in low season so we had Elmar be our 1:1 spotter and I’m just now realizing how much better that makes the trip.

Kilima Steps(PG) is my favourite to spot nudibranch. Even I could spot at least 10 different one in a poor day.
I hope the jetty in Southern Leyte survived the last typhoon. It is a very shallow site(10m max) so typhoon can easily decimated it. It is a MUST for anyone interested on macro but only available for couple of night per wk.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread closed for cleanup.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread reopened; Hong Kong hijack sent to the Pub. Let's keep this one on topic. Thanks!

@jjmochi
Some simple questions for you:
1. Beside One Health Pass, recognized fully vaccination record, Covid insurance. What else?
2. Is S-Pass no longer necessary to travel to PG?
3. How to carry out self-monitor until the 7th day from arrival? Any need for Antigen test? And who is providing the kit?

Thank you

Yeah for s

Maria is a great guide and fantastic diver. Highly recommend her for anyone staying at El Galeon.

@Centrals I just returned from 4 nights in PG at La Laguna Beach Club (Big La Laguna beach, a bit beyond El Galeon) and there were absolutely no requirements to travel between Manila and PG via private boats (Berberabe to resort, direct). I cannot speak of public ferry, but as I understand, PG has absolutely no requirements of their own at this time. I also cannot speak of international arrivals....

Maria is a great guide and fantastic diver. Highly recommend her for anyone staying at El Galeon.

@Centrals I just returned from 4 nights in PG at La Laguna Beach Club (Big La Laguna beach, a bit beyond El Galeon) and there were absolutely no requirements to travel between Manila and PG via private boats (Berberabe to resort, direct). I cannot speak of public ferry, but as I understand, PG has absolutely no requirements of their own at this time. I also cannot speak of international arrivals....
Good to know that.
How was the diving and LBC? The place is far away from the crowd.
Still cannot travel because of 7 days quarantine requirement in HK. What a joke!!

Back
Top Bottom