Advice on Philippines Itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to be in Moalboal and PG. Period.
Coron or Sogod Bay? Hard decision to pick just one.

Coron - Cebu - Moalboal - Dumaguete(Apo Island & Siquijor) - MNL - PG - MNL
PAL has direct flight from Coron to CEB.

You have plenty of time to think over the itinerary.
Centrals, let me ask a question another way: Is there enough to see in Coron for 8 days? That would mean no Sogod Bay. But perhaps the wreck diving is impressive enough to get pride of place this time, given the other non-wreck locations I'll be on.

1. How keen are you on wrecks?
2. Some of the wrecks are big and deep and will need at least couple of dives to make it worthwhile.
3. Kyokuzan Maru which is in the north of the island is rarely dived because of the location. Highly recommended.
4. Barracuda Lake
5. Dugong Dive Center - Dugong Watching | Scuba Diving | Coron Palawan

It is not just wreck in Coron.
Well, I took a (PADI) wreck diving course in Cozumel in response to some thrilling wreck dives in Key Largo. I can't say that my wreck skills are that developed, but I easily passed the course. I liked the Kittiwake on Grand Cayman. So, I guess I would l like to dive some wrecks!

Barracuda Lake looks fantastic! However, I don't much care about the Dugong. Kyokuzan Maru looks fantastic too!

I had originally planned on using D'Divers, probably on your recommendation. That puts me far out of "town" but near the main purpose of the visit. Should I rent a car to get to town and maybe drive up north?

I think I'm talking myself into this...

Kyokuzan Maru looks fantastic too!

I had originally planned on using D'Divers, probably on your recommendation. That puts me far out of "town" but near the main purpose of the visit. Should I rent a car to get to town and maybe drive up north?

I think I'm talking myself into this...
This wreck is very good but too far to get to. You really need to find an operator a lot closer eg. Dugong dive center
You can stay in Coron Town and commute to dive the wrecks except Kyokuzan Maru
Why don't you contact Gunther at D'Diver and ask for his expert opinion?

This wreck is very good but too far to get to. You really need to find an operator a lot closer eg. Dugong dive center
You can stay in Coron Town and commute to dive the wrecks except Kyokuzan Maru
Why don't you contact Gunther at D'Diver and ask for his expert opinion?
So, I should rent a car? About 6 months ago Gunther suggested a couple places near him, the closest being Marina del Sol Resort & Yacht Club, which is just down the street.

So, I should rent a car? About 6 months ago Gunther suggested a couple places near him, the closest being Marina del Sol Resort & Yacht Club, which is just down the street.
It is entirely up to you.
What is the advantage of staying somewhere else and commute to D'Diver by car everyday?
You will need a car(taxi) if you want to dive Kyokuzan Maru as a day trip.

It is entirely up to you.
What is the advantage of staying somewhere else and commute to D'Diver by car everyday?
You will need a car(taxi) if you want to dive Kyokuzan Maru as a day trip.
I thought you were recommending that I stay in town and commute to D'Diver, ... which would probably require a rental car. It would take a daily commute of about one hour each way. If my *primary* activity will be wreck diving, it would make more sense to commute from the D'Diver area. The stay at the recommended (by Gunther) Marina del Sol resort is reasonably priced and is surely convenient. It's interesting that dive shops in town talk of two tanks (maybe three) being the max per day for wreck dives. That must be because of the length of the commute. One can't very well have morning and afternoon dives on the same day.

Alternatively, I could stay part of the time at D'Diver's and the other part of the stay in town. Kyokuzan Maru is almost the same distance form either starting point (15 minutes difference).

Coron town is NOT an ideal place if you want to do more than couple of dives per day. I have done that before with Gunther when his places was on Discovery Island. There is/was an abandoned seaplane not too far from his place. Discovery Divers was the old name.
You need to contact the dive shop up north for the schedule to dive that wreck in advance.

Coron town is NOT an ideal place if you want to do more than couple of dives per day. I have done that before with Gunther when his places was on Discovery Island. There is/was an abandoned seaplane not too far from his place. Discovery Divers was the old name.
You need to contact the dive shop up north for the schedule to dive that wreck in advance.
Ah, that's why Gunther's new place is called D'Divers. OK, I think I"ll stay at Marina Del Sol for the whole period. I can drive or take some transport for anything around Coron Town. I also see that there are some well regarded non-wreck dive sites around D'Divers. So, that cements things. The places that I'd want to see near town are concentrated in a couple of areas. But I'll have time to think about this.

I have looked at the Dungong Dive Center on the north side of the island. The owner has received a truly shocking number of highly negative reviews beginning a few years before Covid struck. Reading between the lines of his own responses, I would not be comfortable relying on him. Evidently, much has changed in the past 10 years there. This is not that much of a problem because the only mammals I'd really like to see are dolphins and whales. I'd also prefer to see them when doing something else. Let them stop by if they want; if they do, I'll give them a nice greeting. In the unlikely event that a whale shark happens by in late Feb, I will do the same thing.

You've really been helpful, Centrals, as always. If I ever end up in Hong Kong, I'd happily buy you a nice dinner.

You've really been helpful, Centrals, as always. If I ever end up in Hong Kong, I'd happily buy you a nice dinner.
You scratch my back and I scratch yours!
We are here to "help" each other and not expecting anything in return.
I am pretty sure you will enjoy your long delayed trip to Philippines.
Cheers.

There is no reason for anyone to visit HK! It is NOT the same any more.
There are many great diving places in SE Asia awaiting for you visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom