Advice on Philippines Itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only one suggestion:
25/02:
There is no advantage to fly from TAC to CEB. The road transfer takes about 3hrs and there is also no fly penalty to consider on 24/02.
Take the ferry from Ormoc(3hrs from Padres Bugos) to Cebu and onward to Moalboal. The ferry service is frequent and fast.
Centrals, buddy! First, I will definitely amend to use the ferry instead. I thought that the ferry would take perhaps more time than the flight, but of course flying does require no p.m. diving the day before (to be safe). And one does need to arrive earlier for flights, and there will not be another flight soon. So, it's less bulletproof.

There is criticism from the board on my Coron to Leyte leg. It will take close to 10 hours. I added Coron because I didn't want to spend 8 nights at Sogod, and I did want to dive some wrecks. However, if omitted Coron, there would be direct flights from MNL to TAC several times a day, and this would eliminate 70% of the transport hassle. What is your view on this?

Agree and this is what I do. I tend to stay a week or 2 weeks in the same place. I will do two separate dive places in two weeks as long as the travel between them is short. Could do PG then Moalboal then say Dauin. Or Bohol and Leyte
I prefer diving time to travel time on any vacation.
I do have paid reservations (Moalboal & PG), with the Moalboal inflexible. I will look at your suggestion, though. Thanks.

Lolz. I am in my 60s and lacking both piss and vinegar. But I am a very experienced traveler who is good at complicated itineraries ... when the location allows this. However, I realize that Philippines doesn't run like clockwork. That transport from Coron to Sogod Bay via MNL would be almost 10 hours. That may be lethal.
Just like in the previous comments, I suggest a slower pace to make it more enjoyable and less stressful. I too will be there from January to June 😉(if travel requirements permit)

Just like in the previous comments, I suggest a slower pace to make it more enjoyable and less stressful. I too will be there from January to June 😉(if travel requirements permit)
Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

How would I link up Coron, Moalboal, PG and Sogod Bay starting from either CEB or MNL?
Four places in four different provinces.
Coron - Cebu - Moalboal - Cebu - Ormoc - Sogod Bay - TAC - MNL - PG - MNL?
I do not think my plan is any better than the OP.
A lot of flying and expensive private transfer.
Take the bus from the Southern Terminal in Cebu to Moalboal
Check the shared van from Ormoc to Maasin(you might need to buy two seats for you luggage).

There is criticism from the board on my Coron to Leyte leg. It will take close to 10 hours. I added Coron because I didn't want to spend 8 nights at Sogod, and I did want to dive some wrecks. However, if omitted Coron, there would be direct flights from MNL to TAC several times a day, and this would eliminate 70% of the transport hassle. What is your view on this?
You have to be in Moalboal and PG. Period.
Coron or Sogod Bay? Hard decision to pick just one.

Coron - Cebu - Moalboal - Dumaguete(Apo Island & Siquijor) - MNL - PG - MNL
PAL has direct flight from Coron to CEB.

You have plenty of time to think over the itinerary.

I always take a private car from Mactan Airport to Moalboal and back to airport. Too much gear to be hauling on those ceres busses for me I would need to buy two seats for my large person as well. Also I like aircon and some busses just have no aircon and open windows.
Also with a driver I can stop off anywhere along the way for bathroom or food breaks. It certainly is not the most comfortable trip. If I get a flight that arrives at 4am I can avoid the traffic and get to Moalboal and join the first morning dive. Far less stress for me.

I prefer my comforts over crammed busses. Ferries are fine as they have space to move around. As Centrals says you have plenty of time for your travel itinerary.

How would I link up Coron, Moalboal, PG and Sogod Bay starting from either CEB or MNL?
Four places in four different provinces.
Coron - Cebu - Moalboal - Cebu - Ormoc - Sogod Bay - TAC - MNL - PG - MNL?
I do not think my plan is any better than the OP.
A lot of flying and expensive private transfer.
Take the bus from the Southern Terminal in Cebu to Moalboal
Check the shared van from Ormoc to Maasin(you might need to buy two seats for you luggage).
Thanks again, Centrals. A transfer from CEB to Moalboal is already paid for. I expect Magic will be happy to pick me up at the dock instead. In the future, I will not use dive vacation services.
You have to be in Moalboal and PG. Period.
Coron or Sogod Bay? Hard decision to pick just one.

Coron - Cebu - Moalboal - Dumaguete(Apo Island & Siquijor) - MNL - PG - MNL
PAL has direct flight from Coron to CEB.

You have plenty of time to think over the itinerary.
I have avoided PAL because I could not buy enough luggage weight on a prop plane, and Coron will be reached by such a plane. Is there enough in Sogod to spend 8 days?

I have avoided PAL because I could not buy enough luggage weight on a prop plane, and Coron will be reached by such a plane. Is there enough in Sogod to spend 8 days?

Cebu Pacific are good for buying extra checked in baggage. Yes there is enough in Sogod to enjoy 8 days especially if you are not in a rush. I've had a good run with seeing whale sharks both in Moalboal and Bohol over the years. One one trip I saw different whale sharks at the different dive locations in Bohol in 5 days. However I have been diving in the Philippines since 1986 and mostly go there every year several times.

Cebu Pacific are good for buying extra checked in baggage. Yes there is enough in Sogod to enjoy 8 days especially if you are not in a rush. I've had a good run with seeing whale sharks both in Moalboal and Bohol over the years. One one trip I saw different whale sharks at the different dive locations in Bohol in 5 days. However I have been diving in the Philippines since 1986 and mostly go there every year several times.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom