Advice on Moving to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caribbeandiver, I have lived on the island "full time" now for 16yrs. Security and well being really depend on how much money you have and how you want to live. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the island and living here. Mon-Fri I am usually at the dive shop. I also know of a few places for sale in and around my neighborhood (West End/Gibson Bight, no I am not a realtor;-))

Ex-pats live quite happily in all different parts of the island and incidents/robberies also occur all over the island. I have 4 dogs and a watchman. It really all depends on what you are looking for. Great idea to rent here for a period before buying, get to know the place, meet the characters, explore the island, get ripped off at least once before you buy;-) We like it here. Yesterday afternoon, went off to West Bay beach with the kids and some friends, despite the fact that I have visited West Bay beach countless time, it still takes my breathe away, nothing like wallowing in the crystal clear waters. It made me so relaxed i didnt care too much that the RECO (electric supply) went off for 3 hours last night and the Genny was out of fuel. Just another day in paradise.
Gaynor

thanks everyone for some great advice for those of us with dreams that may or may not become reality

khblair,
At least you will not have to change your profile here, your little saying under your name
"wants to work less, dive more"
is the way the majority of folks who actually move to the Islands feel. For some reason some folks think living and working on the Islands is like vacationing only all the time

....For some reason some folks think living and working on the Islands is like vacationing only all the time...

From being on the other end, that is~ a person looking for service providers on the Island, I tend to think that's the perception that most people living and working there do indeed have.

Glacial speed is way too fast a description.

From being on the other end, that is~ a person looking for service providers on the Island, I tend to think that's the perception that most people living and working there do indeed have.

Glacial speed is way too fast a description.
And one could see where you and others may get this perception yet upon closer inspection it will often be seen that the lack of service and speed is often due to the fact that so many who would never feel they could start and or run a buisiness in the US or elswhere "think" it is easier in a third world country without thinking about all the labor issues, importing issues and small market, and move to the Island to start a business yet with little or no experience end up working twice as hard as they should be just to get half of the things needed done.
Kind of like the billionaire pipeline owner that bought an electric company, he can certainly run a buisiness but had never dealt with having to do so in a place like Honduras, So many open places, many restaurants, that are very good, good food, good service and seemingly flourishing and close within a short time when they finally realize they are losing money or decide it is time to dive and vacation more and leave it up to someone else to manage who eventually runs it into the ground, steals them blind or both.
Sure, It can be done and dreams are great to have but if your going to do it in Honduras and do it LEGAL, it is very difficult, Now a passing through divemaster or instructor working illegally for a couple months while sharing an appartment and working as a bartender or waitress at night is certainly possible but thats a different animal altogether

Last edited:
I wonder what became of the original poster, If he did make it to the Islands are they still there? Seems they must not have internet, one would think if all went as planned those that were not all suppotive and enthusiastic about it would have a "told you so" kind of thing.

Last edited:
for those of you that have lived there for at least 3 years, do you regret it? do you work there? what do you like the most? hate the most?

Eny one out there that interesting in one of roatan finest beach front property just under $ 350,000
(negociable) property size is 2.11 acree with 357 foot of water beach front property located in sandy bay home of some of roatan best delopment,
you can contact me at 504-95973557

First, required reading for ANYONE thinking about living in the islands is "Don't stop the carnival" by Herman Wouk. No one should even consider buying there without reading it.

Secondly, you need to rent first, at least 6 mos, before buying. People have an unrealistic vision of what it is like to live on any island. I speak from experience from living in the USVI. My parents retired there forever (for a year and a half). They bought first, experienced later. WRONG!!

HAHA!! I am reading the thread and see that my suggestions have already been made. The fact that it has been repeated shows you how important the advice is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom