Advice on Moving to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning on moving to Roatan within the next 6 months. I sold my business and will list my house for sale next week.
I have an appointment with a Real Estate agent in Roatan and have been searching the MLS listings for suitable properties. I have a list of some favorites, some considerables and some I do not think I am interested in. Of course, my ratings are based on photos and detailed information written in the MLS listing so I feel pretty sure my opinions will change after I look at the properties on my list.

Even though I have been to Roatan several times, I am not sure what is a safe area and what is a high crime area. Obviously, it is ok around Sandy Bay, West End, West Bay, Flowers Bay and that end of the island but what about other areas?

Also, how do I find houses that are for sale but not listed with a real estate agent? Surely, there are some deals to be had.

I would appreciate opinions and advice from people who live on the island.

I don't have an answer, but I am extremely envious of you. If I may ask, what do you plan to do for income? I've been hounding my wife to move out of The Country.

A few things. Each realtor that is part of the Roatan MLS may have additional listings that are not on the MLS. Go to the individual realtor's web site for more info.

I suggest that you look for a longer term rental first before buying a home, say 6-12 months. This will help you to better acquaint yourself with the island and determine what is a good fit for you. You may decide you want to stay or you may decide that it's not a good fit. A short period of time renting will either confirm your decision or cause you to rethink things. I know people who have lived on Roatan for years and some who have stayed only a year or two.

You said that it is obviously ok around West Bay, West End, and Sandy Bay. Well, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It depends on what "ok" means to you. There have been robberies in West End, West Bay and Sandy Bay. Crime happens everywhere.

I am not saying you shouldn't move to the island. It is a beautiful island. But why not take some time to live on the island and find out what is good *for you* before you make a potentially large investment?

I too am quite envious,While I own a place and property on the Island I cannot afford to live there full time at this point in my life and that is with all property there paid in full. Cost of living is quite high if you have any expectations of living as youare likely accustomed to. Taxes are not bad but you get little for what you do pay. I agree with the previous post that it would likely be best to rent for a while and do not invest too heavily. There is little work to be had and to work legally you will ned to get residency which can be a long expensive process. I know of many seemingly succesfull business' that just could not cut it and forget making a living in the diving industry, there is a reason some of the larger better known places have sold or closed their doors over the past couple of years.
As far as safety, crime can happen anywhere and the lack of enforcement is why we have dogs and a watchman.
Finding houses not listed? tricky but it can be done, I have not used a Realtor for any of my purchases and have dealt with property owners and my lawyer but you gotta be caeful. Every taxi driver knows someone selling a place, it just may not legally be theirs to sell
Because this is Scubaboard and this has little to do with scuba I will not get into any more details here, feel free to email me if you had any particular questions. I am not a full timer but have been spending 3 or so months a year at my place that i bought in 2003

I agree that you need to rent for a minimum of 6 months and take your time to look over the island. Many people come here and then discover its not what they expected. We've lived here 10 years and have seen the cost of living increase significantly. We are paying around 50-cents per kwh for electricity and if you like to eat U.S. foods, plan to pay almost double what you pay in the states. We live on the east end and feel it is much safer here and more quiet. However, if you are moving here by yourself, the west end, sandy bay areas may be more to your liking. There are several yahoo groups for Roatan residents that will be helpful to you. Good Luck!

I don't have an answer, but I am extremely envious of you. If I may ask, what do you plan to do for income? I've been hounding my wife to move out of The Country.

As I stated, I sold my business and am selling my house (here in the states). I plan on selling my car too and using the money I get for my car to pay for a new car once in Roatan. I may have to add in a thousand or so but my car is new and I do not plan on replacing it with the same type of car. As you know, in Roatan a mini SUV or mini pick up truck is all that is needed.

As for the house, well, the money I get for the sale of my house here will more than cover what I pay for a house in Roatan.

In short, I aint gonna do nothing about income as I plan on living on the money I have. BUT, I may start up another venture and make a little, depends on if I have the time and inclination.

A few things. Each realtor that is part of the Roatan MLS may have additional listings that are not on the MLS. Go to the individual realtor's web site for more info.

I suggest that you look for a longer term rental first before buying a home, say 6-12 months. This will help you to better acquaint yourself with the island and determine what is a good fit for you. You may decide you want to stay or you may decide that it's not a good fit. A short period of time renting will either confirm your decision or cause you to rethink things. I know people who have lived on Roatan for years and some who have stayed only a year or two.

You said that it is obviously ok around West Bay, West End, and Sandy Bay. Well, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It depends on what "ok" means to you. There have been robberies in West End, West Bay and Sandy Bay. Crime happens everywhere.

I am not saying you shouldn't move to the island. It is a beautiful island. But why not take some time to live on the island and find out what is good *for you* before you make a potentially large investment?

Great advice. Thank you for your comments. I will very much take your suggestions into consideration.

There is a website Roatan Info - Roatan Hotels, Resorts, Diving, Maps, News, Real Estate, Pictures, Weather, Tours & Chat. that has an email board where this question is asked quite a lot. Pretty much unanimus (sp) by the residents on this board is that you rent there for 6 months - 1 year before buying. As they say Island living is a lot different than Island vacationing.

Ever visit TJ's BuyRoatan.com Blog ? Great site with many tips and hints, all on video. Actually, there are several websites offering information on relocating to Roatan. Property taxes, banks, real estate agents, home building costs, residency requirements and procedures, The process to purchase real estate, estimated closing costs, information concerning visas and how long one can stay and approximate costs for visas, building restrictions, information about the political climate, currency (that is now fluctuating rather than fixed as it has been for the past many years), insurance companies and information, bringing pets to the island, schools, and all kinds of other stuff.
I constantly search for information and have read all I can find.

Back
Top Bottom