Advice on dive site wall art

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that's the key: Usefulness vs. Art.

In my office I have some cave maps which are useful, and as long as they stay in my office, they are art to me. But in the living room or master bedroom, my better half would promptly proclaim they are not art, but merely useful documents, and ask me to remove them. In the same vein, I have a poster with ham radio frequency ranges on it. It's useful, but for me it's not art. I put it lower and near the radios, where the maps I have nice frames and proudly posted.

Then again, you can buy blueprints of buildings, or maps, to put on the wall, and those are art, while also being useful.

I would absolutely want the fish species information, colorful logos, etc, on a dive slate. I absolutely would not be allowed to hang up a picture with those on it, in the house outside of my office. But it can retain details like depths, dimensions, compass, while still being arty--wreck history can go either way for me. In a museum or art gallery, they would put the history on a separate piece of poster and hang it below the art, but most of us don't live in art museums.

I did not know you had a book of dive sites for palm beach county, I am ordering that now! Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We had similar comments from other divers when we produced a first draft, so we removed all the additional info and showed it around again. Once these elements had been removed we started to get feedback from people saying that they actually prefered this info. What we ended up doing was trying to find a compromise. We deleted most of the branding and the rating info, but kept some basic info about the history of the wreck, it's location, the compass and the depths, as this really provides useful info for people. We then found a way to make all this much smaller, so as not to interfer with the visual of the wreck. We could go one step further however. If we removed the logo completely from the bottom left and the species from the bottom right do you think that would eliminate enough clutter to warrent leaving the historical info, location and depth elements?

Why choose? Some people want the info, some people feel that it distracts from the art. You are doing print on demand, right? So just have both versions available for printing...

I think that's the key: Usefulness vs. Art.

In my office I have some cave maps which are useful, and as long as they stay in my office, they are art to me. But in the living room or master bedroom, my better half would promptly proclaim they are not art, but merely useful documents, and ask me to remove them. In the same vein, I have a poster with ham radio frequency ranges on it. It's useful, but for me it's not art. I put it lower and near the radios, where the maps I have nice frames and proudly posted.

Then again, you can buy blueprints of buildings, or maps, to put on the wall, and those are art, while also being useful.

I would absolutely want the fish species information, colorful logos, etc, on a dive slate. I absolutely would not be allowed to hang up a picture with those on it, in the house outside of my office. But it can retain details like depths, dimensions, compass, while still being arty--wreck history can go either way for me. In a museum or art gallery, they would put the history on a separate piece of poster and hang it below the art, but most of us don't live in art museums.

I did not know you had a book of dive sites for palm beach county, I am ordering that now! Thank you!

So true - what people consider art is very personal. For me too, I prefer to be able to study and read the info, rather than just look at it. Thanks for the prespective

Why choose? Some people want the info, some people feel that it distracts from the art. You are doing print on demand, right? So just have both versions available for printing...

Very true! I think we might have found the solution!

Very true! I think we might have found the solution!

I would be likely to purchase a large format of one of your prints if it did not include all the information/text

Back
Top Bottom