Advice on Descending Smoothly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happi

Reaction score
Hello,

Always having problems in descending for most of my dives.
I always find myself going up to the surface after descending to 1-2 metres.

Have emptied the air in the BCD already.
Always do feet-down descent. Wearing 3mm wetsuit for my dives.

One example: I tried to stay as still as possible & try to breathe out & relax but sometimes I find my body 'falling back' & i tried to adjust my position again, I'll start going up again... :(

Would always need my buddy or DM to help me go beyond 5 metres deep before I can do my own descent to the desired depth.

Any advice??? Thanks in advance :)

happi:
One example: I tried to stay as still as possible & try to breathe out & relax but sometimes I find my body 'falling back' & i tried to adjust my position again, I'll start going up again.

I'm a very new diver. During my OW class, I had the same problem where I was tilting backwards as I tried to descend. What helped immensely was readjusting how my weights were distributed. I had too much in the back, not enough toward the front/sides of my hips. I moved a little bit of weight to my front BC pockets, and put the rest on the sides of my hips. Problem solved, no more backward tilting. Try playing around with where your weights are positioned and see if that works for you.

Cathy

I'll bet holding a safety stop on the way back up with that bouyant tank is tough. Are you sure you are weighted correctly?

Hi Cathy & "redcash",
Thanks for your suggestion. Will try it in my next dive to place my weights on my side

Hi "bubble-blowers",
Yeah... out of the 5 dives, I can only complete 2 of my safety stops... The rest of my 3 dives, I would just 'float up' after about 1min @ our 5metres stop.
Maybe it was my breathing too?? :06:

With the proper amount of weight you should be able to descend easily with an empty bc and a full tank. However, once you get the proper amount, going down smoothly feet first will be a matter of placing the weights in the right spots as CathyS stated.

happi:
Always do feet-down descent. Wearing 3mm wetsuit for my dives.

I agree with what others have said, that you might be underweighted. Also, redistributing the weight should help your attitude in the water, so you don't tilt backwards...

Finally, I would try to descend horizontally...I find being horizontal is more like diving, and is much easier to control....

But, change one thing at a time...Get the weight correct, THEN redistribute it, THEN do other things...

I have the same problem, except I can make it down on my own, but it's much harder to get to the first 10 feet.

I know with me, it's I'm breathing way more at the surface, and I find it hard to relax. People are kicking around you trying to descend, the current and surge and knocking you around, and you're trying to stay with your buddy, so you aren't relaxed as you need to be.

It could be the same with you.

Xanthro

Presumably you're shore diving? We just returned from a Caribbean resort where all dives were from a boat, and they perferred that everyone use the anchor line to descend. They INSISTED that all new divers use it, going feet first but "hand under hand" down the rope. Perhaps they've found a way to avoid having divers bob up with the problems you described in the first few feet of descent.
(We've been diving for years, and didn't use that method. Then again, as others have already mentioned, we tend to wear our weights forward, and descend more horizontally.)

scubasean:
Finally, I would try to descend horizontally...I find being horizontal is more like diving, and is much easier to control....

But, change one thing at a time...Get the weight correct, THEN redistribute it, THEN do other things...

Good advice scubasean.

To other new divers, lets look at the feet first descent. Picture yourself at the surface in the water and think about location and position of your feet.

If you dump the air from your BC and exhale to descend and stay in this position what do you think the water flow will be in regards to your fins :06: It will be "pushing" upward while you are are trying to move downwards. There will be less resistance behind you and you will naturally tend to "fall over" backwards especially if you have to much weight behind you. But others have recommended the fix for weight placement so lets move on.

Lets improve our descent by following scubaseans recommendation of making a descent in a horizontal or prone body position. Again we are at the surface and now we start our descent. Essentially three things need to happens simultaneously.

1.) Dump air 2.) exhale 3.) flex the knees and slightly extend the feet. Dumping air and exhaling we know changes our volume thereby changing our density so we sink. What in heavens name does flexing the knees and slightly extending the feet have to do with descending :06:

Think of where your feet/fins are now and where is the "pushing" force being applied to the fins. Correct it is against the top surface of the fin instead of the bottom surface of the fin. This will rotate you into a horizontal or prone body position in the water. From this position you can see where you are going. You can see the bottom or the wreck or waht ever it is you are looking for including divers that may be under you who would really appreciate it if you didn't land on them(really a fun experience I assure you :wink: )

The good thing about seeing the bottom on your way down is that you can better guage your rate of descent and add air to the BC appropriately to stop above the bottom or whatever is down there.

To all the istructors out there that read this method, you will find that your students can get much more descent distance within the confines of a pool as compared to the standard feet first descent. Think of the 6 foot tall person doing a feet first descent in a 10 foot deep pool. He will land on the bottom in slightly mor than four feet of travel---not much practice IMHO. Using the technique given above and have them stop descending 6 inches above the bottom will give them 11feet 6 inches of travel and more descent control practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom