Advice on computer choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you can wait, wait for DEMA 2018/get a fill-in and see what comes out. The competition is heating up ...

if you can wait, wait for DEMA 2018/get a fill-in and see what comes out. The competition is heating up ...

I'm still building up my funds, so I've got some time and still open to several choices. I've reviewed the ones mentioned so far and they seem promising. Plus, right after the DEMA show there will be black Friday sales, so hopefully some good things come out of that. I'd buy now if I could just convince my wife to let me run up some credit card debt. Yeah, I'm the king of the castle... until my wife gets home.

I wouldn't put much faith in DEMA, but it is usually worth waiting for Thanksgiving/Christmas sales.

One more thing to keep in mind, if you're aiming for WAI, is that PPS pressure transmitters tend to be a bit cheaper and compatible with all Pelagic resellers (Oceanic, Aqua~Lung) and Shearwater. Others aren't.

If you are willing to buy a used computer you should be able to pick up a shearwater petrel or petrel 2 for the same price or less than what you are looking at for a new computer.

I found a nice petrel 2 for less than $500 delivered on SB a few weeks ago.

If you are willing to buy a used computer you should be able to pick up a shearwater petrel or petrel 2 for the same price or less than what you are looking at for a new computer.

I found a nice petrel 2 for less than $500 delivered on SB a few weeks ago.

You’re welcome!

Buy a secondhand Shearwater that is in line with your budget (Petrel 1) ...

Check out the seac guru as well. Picked up one with transmitter for 400$ new on ebay. It's the ratio idive easy resold under Seac.

Heh. Even if you get one for $300 w/o the transmitter, you're still way better off on bang per buck than with any other dive computer out there.

I've considered the Ratio, so the Guru would definitely be one to look at. How is their customer service? I looked at the manual and it appears to be running the Buhlmann ZHL-16 B algorithm. As a newer diver I know that sort of stuff is still a bit above my head, but it's something I'll need to understand and I don't want to be THAT guy during the dive whose computer is yelling at him to end the dive soonest.

Back
Top Bottom