Advice on computer choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No2rdame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm working on budgeting for my first dive computer and could use some sage wisdom from those with experience on here.

A little background - I'm newer to diving but have no plans to pursue any sort of career or get into tech diving. I don't want the simplest computer on the market I could outgrow, but my budget and long-term aspirations won't dictate a top of the line computer, either. I've had the most experience with an Aqualung i550. I like the computer as the display is clear and the unit pretty user friendly, but I'm leaning against a console in part because I feel like the wrist is a much quicker and more natural way of getting information I need. I would also prefer AI, though due to costs I probably wouldn't get the transmitter right now but would like it in the future. I realize that with AI the transmitter can lose signal, so I'd still keep my gauges in case of any signal loss or computer failure.

The obvious SB answer is Shearwater and while everything I've seen speaks volumes for their quality and customer service, their units are a bit out of my price range and though I'd never outgrow them, I probably also wouldn't benefit from the extra features. I'm leaning toward the Oceanic OCi as it ticks off many of the things I'm looking for (wrist, AI, user replaceable battery option), but I have yet to hit the nearest LDS that sells it (other side of town that I rarely go to).

So, any pros or cons to the OCi? Any other computers in a similar range with features I desire that I should consider? I'm trying to go no higher than $650 for now on my budget.

I don't know how the UK gets away with it, but I just bought a Suunto D4i Novo with USB interface and an included transmitter for $450.00 USD!!

I spoke with Suunto here directly and they confirmed that it doesn't matter where in the world I bought my computer, so long as I register it, it has full warranty!

Maybe I'm mental, but it seemed like much too good of a deal to pass up??

Sorry I don't know if that helps or not, but the transmitter in the deal is what sold it for me.

Good luck.

I’m sure the exchange rate came into play....I once bought a BMW motorcycle new in Canada for $8k US less than selling here in the States at the time!

My concern on the OCi (from the other thread) is twofold:

The software looks like an evolution of what I had in my VT3 which was... idiosyncratic. Worked great underwater, but I have tons of dives logged on the wrong date, wrong O2%, etc. some was the interface and sometimes it would just freak out - resetting date/time in the middle of a live aboard trip, etc.

Also, the newer computers allow wireless dive data downloads (and firmware upgrades) which is actually huge if you care about such things. Weird proprietary cables are flaky and expensive as hell to replace.

It’s outside of your budget but I’d look hard at the Perdix AI - maybe keep an eye for a used model? Or punt on AI for now and do something like:
Deepblu COSMIQ+ (V3.0.1)

I hear good things about the Suunto Vyper Novo but have no personal experience and on paper looks similar to OCi.

I’m sure the exchange rate came into play....I once bought a BMW motorcycle new in Canada for $8k US less than selling here in the States at the time!

That was with the exchange rate included.

The actual price was 360 GBP, so converted to US that was roughly $450 or $600 CDN. It cost me another $30.00 CDN to be shipped with signature and tracking.

By the time the CDN government adds their tax to it, which could be another $80.00 I'm still all total to my door at just over $700.00 CDN.

Our DS are selling this unit for about $1400 with the transmitter and taxes.

That's pretty close to 50% off ( I say pretty close because I've rounded numbers all the way through this).

I think the OCi is a great choice. I used to dive a Suunto Vyper Air and a Zoop backup. The Vyper Air had AI.

I moved to a Sheareater and now dive an Oceanic Veo 2 backup. I feel like I can give you a full snapshot based on my experience.

I like the liberal DSAT algorithm with the option of the more conservative Z+ algorithm. It will serve you well now in either setting and if you ever upgrade, it will make an excellent backup as a liberal computer is best for that. (It’s tough to have a conservative computer act as a backup in the future as you’ll constantly upset it with NDL times when your primary is fine.)

I will warn that Oceanic’s manuals are pretty horrendous. Go to Dive Computer Training and pay the few dollars to learn your computer. They show you how to set it up and use it using video modules. They even do simulated dives so you know what to expect, what it means, and what to do. It’s amazing! I know it’s a janky looking website but trust me on this one. :) you’ll thank me later :D

@flyboy08 are you saying...I should buy a ZX-6R in Canada? Hmmmm....there’s a re-design slated for 2019. I’m hoping for better colors as well. :D

I

@flyboy08 are you saying...I should buy a ZX-6R in Canada? Hmmmm....there’s a re-design slated for 2019. I’m hoping for better colors as well. :D

YES! At least price it...I went and drove the bike back...you may have to do the same? :D

Hi @No2rdame

OCi is still on sale for $640, it would fit your needs nicely.

As opposed to @dulinor, I have an 8 year old VT3 with 1175 dives and 1235 hours on it, works absolutely perfectly, I have all of the dives downloaded

To be clear - if you get the OCi, I think you will be happy. I still carry my VT3 as my backup - it's never given me any trouble underwater except an occasional loss of transmitter signal for a couple seconds here or there. (Which is why I also carry an SPG as I think you said you planned to.)

It has happened more than once that on dive #10 or so of a trip, I'll look down and see that the computer thinks it's January, 2006 and randomly reset itself 3-4 dives ago. No obvious triggering event (battery change, download, firmware change) to make it happen. Nobody else in my dive group dives an Oceanic but my wife's Aeris Epic (same company) has never had that issue so I may just have a flaky unit. All my dives are downloaded but I do have a cluster that I was unable to match to paper logs to figure out what they should go with.

Since I added a Shearwater I have been pleasantly surprised at how much easier it is to use, configure and see, but if you learn (and remember/bring the manual) the Oceanics will do everything you need them to do. (And as we said in the other thread, the transmitter is likely reusable if you ever upgrade / change to a different manufacturer.) The BT download feature is helpful if you're trying to go to a mobile device or a Mac - all of which can be done with the USB cable, but can be more of a hassle.

I've had huge issues the last couple of years with getting parts / service for an Oceanic Regulator, but the batteries for their computers are very standard and easy to come by and change.

I use a shearwater. Dont get excited about tech computers. You can get them for 500 bucks which make them compatable with what you can get new on the market. I have to ld many that a tool box like a computer has nothing in it if you can not find it. Likewise the menu system on most computers is complicated with buttons or combinatons of buttons and time sequences like hold button A for 5 seconds than button b. If yo have to have the book to use the computer you have nothing. shearwater and I think a few other computers have very simple intuitive menue systems. With the shearwater there is 2 buttons one is a scroll and then other is a select button. Gas changes are easy to do. Not referencing to deco gas changes but simple nitrox selections both in ans out of water. look at some youtube videos on use of various computers. Next feature is to pick one that you can read. then one you can operate with gloves on. one that has a bluetooth link in it to update programs and download dives records. you can not loose parts (special link cables) if it is a blutooth connection. also look at support. shearwater is possibly the best there is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom