Advice on buying a mask please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrian_london

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I have been advised to buy a mask when diving and not to rent a mask. I can see the advantages in doing so.

I wear glasses and have a prescription of approximatly -3.5 in both eyes. As far as I'm aware I have no stigmatisms or any anomolies.

I will be having a full sight test before I order any mask just in case my prescription has changed.

The salesman in the shop that I visited in Central London recommended the Mares X Vision liquid skin (£54.95). His opinion is that it is one of the best masks on the market and that I can buy a prescription kit for £40 per eye.

Any opinions would be grateful.

Contact lenses rather than a prescription mask.

Best mask is low volume and does not leak.

Simple is best here and frankly the only thing that really matters notwithstanding all the sales bumph is leaking. If it leaks you will hate it. If it doesn't you will be able to see. Low volume just makes clearing easier.

To quote someone on SB (that I can't remember), "A mask is something I would NOT recommend for an on-line purchase." The cost difference is not significant compared to the chance to try one on and the single most important issue in a mask is FIT.

As a close second, I would say get one that fits, and as a close third, I'd say get one you like the looks of. My wife is mildly claustrophobic and likes the tri-panel masks. Personally, I need the stick on bi-focals in mine, so I go for the deep lens masks that let me mount the bi-focals down low so I'm not looking through them when I'm admiring fish or fossils (only my gauges and computer).

To each his own, but as Darnold said, you'll be VERY disappointed in any mask you buy if it doesn't fit. Fit involves several things for different people. For me, it's the encroachment at the outer limits of my eyes. I don't like a mask that reaches into my eye sockets. Additionally, I wear a goatee, so I need a mask with a double seal and a thin one at that. My mustache usually leaks a little, but some vaseline lip balm usually stops it.

Go to the stores and see what you like the looks of. Then try it on and see if it fits and you like the limits of what you can see. It's all in personal choice, there is no right and wrong.

G'Luck!

Best mask is low volume and does not leak.

The best mask for a prescription is not necessarily a low volume one. The thickness of the lenses can sometimes make them uncomfortable. Find a mask that fits well and most of all, does not leak. Try it on several dives then, if it is comfortable and does not leak then add the prescription.

Yah, agree, the "best" mask is one that fits you well with no leaks, is pleasing to your eye and can fulfill your requirements of "either prescription lenses or optical stick ons".

If you dont know how, ask the assistant to show you the way to test a mask for seal, then forget brands, prices and general sales hype and try a few, the one that "seals and feels right to you" is the one you buy.

Theres no right and wrong here, generally when a mask fits you, it will immediately feel right, from there its just a choice of colours.!:

Sounds like you would be a naked-eye match for the HydroOptix mask. Check some of the threads here for details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom