Advice on buying a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that that kind of BCDs (The one that uses wings) are more for Tech diving more than recreational diving.

If you think that you might get into technical diving, if you plan on diving double tanks, or if you will be doing cold water diving in a dry suit, then you should get a backplate and wing. But if you are sure that you will only be doing warm water, single tank, recreational diving, then you should get a backplate and wing.

As someone who was in a similar situation a month ago I guess I'll chime in, but I have substantially less experience than the other posters so take that into consideration. I completed my OW dives in a cressi aquaride jacket bcd about two months ago and decided I wanted to purchase my own equipment because I began diving at least twice a week after the class. After hours spent researching on the boards I purchased a deep sea supply steel plate, wing, and the extra ten pound plate weight attachments to compensate for the 7mm wetsuit I wear in puget sound. It was slightly annoying to setup the harness with no prior knowledge, but due to the experience I now feel completely confident in my setup and my ability to alter it. Also, even on the first dive, I noticed that it was much easier to control my trim and buoyancy while being extremely secure and comfortable because it has absolutely no movement compared to the bcd which would slide around while diving. If you have the chance to try both I would, but if not I would 110% recommend a Bp/w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom