Advice on best scuba destination for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to hire a guide for at least your first dive at Blue Heron Bridge. You have to time the tides just right and navigation is a little confusing the first time through[/QUOTE:
Check for the tides here : Blue Heron Bridge Tide Table July 2021
Nice map of the site here: https://i1.wp.com/www.puravidadiver...loads/2013/09/blue-heron-bridge-map.jpg?ssl=1

A guide from one of the local shops (pura vida or force-e) could help point out the cool stuff (and there is a lot of cool stuff!!)

One of our favorite sites, we're out there often too.

Where have you been yourself in the Caribbean? What kinds of things do you two like to do aside from diving?

Is there a budget in mind?

Crickets. Lot of noise, but otherwise….

My girlfriend is getting certified and I want to take her on a trip somewhere so she falls in love with diving. I'm fairly advanced and looking for something that will be easy for her (shallow reef, minimal current) but still be engaging. She's a gem and I want to make a special trip for her.

We're in Chicago, looking at the Caribbean ideally. Turks & Caicos? Cayman? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Greetings from St. Croix Matt1or11,

Small world, my husband is also from Chicago but we are now full-time residents of St. Croix.

As KathyV mentioned we have relatively easy entry and exit policies - PCR, Antigen or Antibody (valid for 4 months) test uploaded prior to arrival and nothing needed for the return to the mainland.

With over 50 dive sites to choose from St. Croix has some very diverse dive sites. Our pier is easy for beginners and has amazing macro and fish life. We have deep and shallow wrecks. Our west end reefs are rather shallow and our wall dives are still very nice between 40-60 feet for beginners. Farther east along Long Reef there are some very nice shallow reef dives. We boast the longest continuous fringing reef in the Caribbean.

Sealife is abundant on St. Croix with more than 500 species of fish, 40 types of coral, and hundreds of invertebrates that inhabit our waters. Common marine life on our reefs- Sharks, turtles, octopus, lobster and a wide variety of Caribbean reef fish. Possible Sightings: eagle rays, dolphins, hammerheads, jacks, barracuda, squid, and other large fish. Common Sightings on our pier dive: octopus, seahorse, adult and juvenile angelfish, various crabs and shrimp, mantis shrimp, anemone fish, turtles, stingrays, lobster, lionfish, jawfish (regularly brooding), porcupine fish, eels, and many other types of reef fish and critters. Possible Sightings: eagle rays, frogfish, batfish, flying gurnards, old Chaney (beautifully designed shards of fine China from the 1800s).

St. Croix has 2 historic districts on the island, complete with forts to protect our harbors and 18th century colorful downtown areas. For a time in the mid-to-late 1700s, St. Croix, under Danish rule, was one of the richest sugar islands in all of the Caribbean with more than 200 sugar plantations and today you can still see sugar mills across the island.

Here's a recent list of USA's 10 best open-air dining options not to mention our air-conditioned fine dining options. And you've got to try our johnny cakes and local Crucian cuisine!

5.) St. Croix -...Not a 'water park, roller coaster, zip line, paid dolphin interaction' kind of place. Sandy beaches.
We have a zipline that now goes through the rainforest. You can take your lady on a wonderful sunset cruise with rum punch and live music aboard a catamaran, ride horses on the beach, swim in our natural tide pools. West end beaches are beautiful white sand, buck island beach is gorgeous, Cane Bay beach is a blast and the beach at the Buccaneer is beautiful - all are open to the public but rather quiet on weekdays.

We have a few high-end resorts, maybe you'd prefer a 2 bedroom private villa w/pool or a cottage near the beach. St. Croix has options!

Let me know if you have any questions, I know of some specials on accommodations (listed here on the SB trips & marketplace page) and local businesses.

Wherever you end up taking, her have a fantastic time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom