Advice on a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The large screen on the petrel (compared to watch-style computers) makes a huge difference, especially in low light and low vis, and this is coming from someone with better than 20/20 vision. It's not just about liking bigger text, the glowing readings and large text together sort of trains you to keep an eye on your depth and NDL, but without and hassle or distraction. I really think it made me a better diver by keeping me aware.

Petrel 3 is due out November and Petrel 4 early December.

I'm interpreting this as you are serious. Can you give any more info on this? Either details, or a link to details? Even if its just the source of this information and nothing more?

I'm interpreting this as you are serious. Can you give any more info on this? Either details, or a link to details? Even if its just the source of this information and nothing more?

This please. ^^^^

This please. ^^^^

On reflection - and communication with Shearwater Support - I do believe the Buddha's post was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

I only thought it MIGHT be real on the basis that SW could certainly possibly come out with a Petrel 3 around DEMA (in Nov) - possibly to add AI, which they have said they are not going to do, but then they WOULD say that right up until they announce that they've done it - and maybe a Petrel 4 (announced at DEMA and then available in Dec) would be a wristwatch-sized unit, to maybe compete more directly with the SeaBear H3 and others.

Like I said, it seems PLAUSIBLE, but I don't believe it's actually true at all. And I would love to find out I'm wrong! :D

They've explicitly said they have no intention of adding AI. And, the petrel 2 is still very new. This isn't apple we're talking about, their model is to produce quality computers, not to sell a new one every year.

I am holding out for the Petrel 4 which will not only feature AI but will have a built in "Pez Dispenser" for those long deco munchies and smartphone integration so you never have to miss a text or Facebook update while diving ever again.

I am holding out for the Petrel 4 which will not only feature AI but will have a built in "Pez Dispenser" for those long deco munchies and smartphone integration so you never have to miss a text or Facebook update while diving ever again.

And apple pay to allow you to charge for access to your octopus?

Seriously, you haven't heard the the next generation of shearwater is going to be released soon? I would hold out...The Petrel is exactly the same as the Petrel 2 sans the compass (heck, they sold the 2 as the original for a couple of months before telling anyone).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom