Advice on a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the quick response. I decided that I will not buy the Suunto Dx. Do you guys have any recommendation for a computer with my specific needs?

1. Nitrox compatible
2. Air integration
3. Automatic or manual adjustment for altitude diving
4. User replaceable batteries
5. Multiple gas computers
6. Computer interface, so that I can download my dive data
7. Electronic compass
8. Built-in thermometer
9. Conservative
10. A cool watch design

And any other extra features would be cool too. Thank you again.

SubGravity H3 is worth looking into. It is one I'm considering.

Air integration is a very expensive feature. It seems to add at least $500 to the computer cost when you include the sensor and excludes the most popular tech computer. Do you really need and want to pay to have the pressure shown on your wrist? If you really want this, you might consider going with a Petrel as your dive computer and then buy a used uwatec or oceanic computer and transmitter on Ebay for $3-$400 as a pressure display.

As someone who has put a bunch of money into his computer let me give you some points for you to question your self over

1. AI. Okay I love my AI but I have multiple transmitters for not only my main tank but also for my side slung tanks (what we refer to here as Stages). All my first stages are still equipped with SPG's (stage cylinders have a 6" short hose with SPG) AI is great I love it and I love having the information on my wrist and I like the computer also having all my gas consumption Info. BUT its not necessary I use my SPGs' on the surface to check the cylinder pressure before I switch on the comp and underwater visually check the spg on the stages before I change onto them. So the question you should ask yourself is why do YOU want AI and what if any gains it will give you. Although "wanting something" can be a justification in itself.

2. As others have said RB normally have an attached computer, you wouldn't' buy a comp until you have decided on which model RB you're getting. Frankly by the time you've brought a RB, training and all the Bail out cylinders extra regs etc the price of a new computer is insigificant.

Do you need or just want a big screen? LCD/OLED screens make for a brick like computer whereas you looked at a watch type

Looking at your list below:

1. Nitrox compatible
2. Air integration
3. Automatic or manual adjustment for altitude diving - Normally standard (manual adjustment)
4. User replaceable batteries
5. Multiple gas computers
6. Computer interface, so that I can download my dive data
7. Clear display of Dive time and NDL

Is all you really need as a starting point. Once again by the time you have got into Tech you'll have burned through a ton of cash anyway. The DX is being discontinued in favour of the Eon anyway (which is what I have) although the Petrel is also a great computer and cheaper. But again I just recommend caution about buying something now who's features you may not use for a couple of years - Unless you really want too:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom