advice on 21watt HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Salvo 21W HID.

I have to agree that it is a bit of an overkill for night dives but it's OK. I also adjust them into flood (non-focused) mode.

For day dive in clear water, you can only really see the light beam when you get close to the reef casting the light on the corals and stuff. But they aren't that bright that they will scare fish away.

If you are interested in Salvo, you might want to contact and look up for Brent (known as hunter991 on this board).

diveprof:
Then again, people laugh at me when I prefer to enter the water with a 4w Princeton Tech (4AA) as my "primary" on the night dive when some have the Light Cannons.

I second that- never underestimate the power of a small light- I did a night dive in a quarry with a little LED light that ran off 4AAA batteries- friggin amazing! I call it my gauge light since it's just bright enough to read gauges. It really makes the dives exciting! Of course, I did have my 10W HID as a "backup" but I didn't have to use it!

Back to the question for the OP, I think that 21W might be overkill, but I'm also a fan of 10W lights because of their smaller size/longer burn times. But, if 21W is the only thing that will make him happy...

I took a 10W Sartek on a night dive in Cozumel once (before I upgraded to my Salvo). I was accosted by what the DM called blood worms. They were little tiny fish/worms that flocked to my light significantly occluding it and swimming in my ears, swimsuit, and everywhere. When I got back to the hotel, I smelled like dead fish (I must have surfaced with 20 of the on and in me). Lesson learned: never have the brightest light on a night dive.

thanks everyone! this board is awesome. i'm gonna have hubby get on here and read your comments so it will help him decide.

loosebits:
I took a 10W Sartek on a night dive in Cozumel once (before I upgraded to my Salvo). I was accosted by what the DM called blood worms. They were little tiny fish/worms that flocked to my light significantly occluding it and swimming in my ears, swimsuit, and everywhere. When I got back to the hotel, I smelled like dead fish (I must have surfaced with 20 of the on and in me). Lesson learned: never have the brightest light on a night dive.

Sartek has a 21/13w light though...Why did you pick up a Salvo to Sartek?

Any review? Thanks in advance,

This was prior to Sartek coming out with the 21/13W.. I really loved the Salvo compared to my old Sartek 10, not just the brighness but the Brightstar bulb vs the W/A bulb (which I think Sartek no longer uses) and the latched can versus the screw top (which can be almost impossible to open if you overtighten before a dive).

While both have excellent service, I've ejoyed Salvo's service a bit better.

One thing I did like about the Sartek light over Salvo was the optional "soft" goodman handle.. it used surgical tubing instead of aluminum like the typical handle. Of course, you cut the tubing to fit and so you can't go from drygloves to no gloves very easily.

loosebits:
This was prior to Sartek coming out with the 21/13W.. I really loved the Salvo compared to my old Sartek 10, not just the brighness but the Brightstar bulb vs the W/A bulb (which I think Sartek no longer uses) and the latched can versus the screw top (which can be almost impossible to open if you overtighten before a dive).

While both have excellent service, I've ejoyed Salvo's service a bit better.

One thing I did like about the Sartek light over Salvo was the optional "soft" goodman handle.. it used surgical tubing instead of aluminum like the typical handle. Of course, you cut the tubing to fit and so you can't go from drygloves to no gloves very easily.

Thanks for your quick review.. I understand your points.

I am not sure which bulb Sartek is using on 21/13W though. I agree that Sartek is a little bit dimmy on 10w light in a brightness wise. Otherwise, I like their compact size so far. In addition, I am not sure their screw in design requires a frequent O-ring replacement on the canister?

Have you ever used a wetmate option on Sartek? Is it useful feasture on a cave diving (I gues you are a cave diver)?

Sartek uses the brightstar now - exact one Salvo uses. Many of their lights still come with latch top lids instead of the screw top - including the 21/13.

I don't personally own one, but I've asked many questions and their President has given me quite a bit of info. I'm currently trying to make the decision on a good HID.

The screwtop sucks but o-ring replacement isn't an issue, it's getting the damn thing off after a dive.

Plato himself once stated:

"A man cannot have too much wattage."

A more modern take on the subject:

"Size Matters."

Back
Top Bottom