• semi dry

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • dry suit

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • other

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do your OW down in florida during the summer and you can both be in shorts and a rash guard. It would really make the learning of a new skill like diving much more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, not gonna happen. The increased expense of buying an exposure suit that may or may not get used again is already at my threshold of pain. Flying across the country to get certified is too expensive.

I am also of the opinion that getting certified where we would do most of our diving, i.e., Monterey, is the way to go. Practice and learn the way you are going to do something.

If you get a hooded semi-dry, I highly recommend adding a 5mm short-john underneath it. There's not all that much difference in mobility or extra weight needed, but the difference in warmth is huge. I'll dive a semi-dry by itself in SoCal, but for Monterey I am way happier with 12mm on my core + all the seals of a semi-dry.

There are people who dive with just 7mm in Monterey and say they aren't cold, but you said your wife is sensitive to cold water. If she's sensitive you'll very likely need more neoprene.

While not exposure suit related, make sure you pour some warm water in the suit right before she walks down from the parking lot @ breakwater, or even better on the beach right before hitting the water. If you're not getting a hooded semi-dry, then could probably do a 3mm or 5mm hooded vest over the semi dry.

I'm very slim and very sensitive to the cold. I wear a full 5mm in the tropics. I have a custom 2piece 7mm farmer John with hood and I'm ok down to about 19degrees C. I just bought a dry suit and while I'm still trying to get my thermal layers sorted I'm good for a 60 minute dive in 14degrees C. I'm a bit cool but certainly not cold. So yes, as some others have said I too would recommend a drysuit particularly if your wife is sensitive to the cold. For me nothing short of drowning ruins a good dive like being cold, I loathe it. Good luck.

Hello lostsheep,

With your water temps. around low 50's I would definitely choose dry. Yes your wife will be learning lots of new skills with the OW course, one more new skill for the sake of being warm will be worth it. Most new divers stop diving due to water temp. and vis. (learn in tropical area, won't dive in local area as too cold and vis. not so good).
:):):)
Stevo

Back
Top Bottom