advice needed- gear and reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nailer - this is my take on it:

If you think you will be diving a lot in the Seattle Area then:

1. Get a drysuit and the heavy weight undergarmet to go along with it. While it is uncomfortable to wear one in the summer - the other ten months you'll be glad to have one. Being dry between dives is a wonderful thing and will make you want to do two or more dives in a day.

2. Good regs are advised. I agree with Sandman - the MK25/S600 is a great reg. I've got a bunch of them. I also like Apeks ATX200's, but the 100's and 50's are a top shelf reg as well. Personally I dive with two of the same second stages - either S600's or ATX200's. Reliability and durability are very important to me.

3. When it comes time to get a BCD - I would very strongly advise you to look at a backplate and wing. Why? Because if you are diving all the time you will come to same conclusion that Sandman as well as many of the rest of us have, that for our style of diving this system works great. Both Sandman (whom I've never met) and I have both bought at least two other inferior BCD's (in my case it was five) before finally going with a BPW. Don't let the shop guys talk down to you. This isn't a tech diving piece of gear. If you need someone to understand you here - talk to Matt at NW Sportsdivers in Kenmore or go chat with Mark at 5th Dimension in Issaquah.

4. When it comes to lights for night diving - you will naturally want to be cheap here. After all they sell flashlights at Home Depot for under $10.00 and those have batteries. Resist temptation. You will find that if you go to the I-beams in West Seattle's Cove 2 in the afternoon on a day in August you will be doing a night dive at 100'! If you dive with any of us that use "canister lights" particularly those of us who have 18 or 21W lights you will have wished that you had saved the money on the $125. C-8 light kit and instead bought the $1,200. Salvo. Those of us who dive all the time in the sound - no matter what time of day it is - not only bring our lights, but use them on every dive. We always carry at least one backup light too. They bring out colors you won't otherwise see. We also use them to keep track of our buddies. I'll be happy to tell you about that buddy skill if you want to pm me. I know $1,200. for a bloody light will cost you a divorce, but what a great light you'll have.:D

5. Don't blow your money on a fancy big dive knife. While they look like you'll be able to take on anything that lurks in the deep, the truth of the matter is that you will likely only need to cut away fishing line. Go to Seattle Marine Supply right near the fishermans terminal and get yourself a little $6.00 serrated pairing knife and a $3.00 sheath. They are up front by the cash registers. Matter of fact get two knives in case you lose one. If you do lose one, you won't feel nearly as bad as the $75.00 pig sticker that just fell off the boat. Get a pair of EMT shears and stuff them in a pocket. They can cut through wire if you take care of them.

6. Fins - oh boy. Not sure I want to go down this road other than to tell you what I used to have and what I use now. Used to use Apollo split fins. Now I use Scubapro Jet fins. Love the jets and yes I do have spring straps.

7. Put together a good save a dive kit. Mine is in a large modified tackle box. I have most everything I or my buddies could need when we either go shore diving or on my boat. There are some excellent threads here on SB about what you should keep in your S.A.D. kit.

8. Get nitrox certified. You won't regret it.

9. When it comes time for buying tanks you almost can't buy too many. I have six 130 steel HP tanks and two 119 steel HP's. I also have a 40 cf deco tank. I would strongly recommend that you go the large HP steel route.

10. Find a shop near you that offers an unlimited air/nitrox card for the year. If you plan on diving a few times a week or at least 50 dives per year, it will pay for itself. I know they do this at NW Sport Divers. Not sure about anywhere else.

So welcome to the wonderful and expensive world of diving. There are plenty of other things that you will want to buy later, but this should cover your first $10,000. :D:D:D

I agree I bought an Alpha 7/ SP4 by oceanic and after diving it only 2 or three times I am wishing I had saved up and bought something that has a balanced first stage. Also I just went to a BP/W setup and can't wait to dive it.

I really have to agree with OE2X...
He has really hit it on the mark with Puget Sound diving and diving around Seattle...With this gear set up, it should take you for many, many dives. Sandman hit it too.....but we're working on that...:)
See ya all soon!
K

Well comming from a firstborn, I think as far as Regulators go... Scubapro is where it's at, since they pay for parts when you have it serviced, provided it's done every year.. and besides that I love my 550. And if your cold blooded like me, dry is the only way to dive. It might also benefit you to wait for the divers fair at the end of July I think. Excellent deals to be had.

as it's said, plan your work and work your plan.

This is what I love about the divers here ~ Great advice and we give it out for free.

Definately agree with the BP&W vs BC. I dive a Zeagle Ranger ~ good BC but I am converting to a BW ASAP.
Love the custom fit you can only get with a harness. Its not a techie thing, just a great option for diving the PNW.

DRYSUIT ~ Is a must in my book. You can dive wet (I dive with a few guys who do it) but for comfort and pleasure on each and every dive. Gotta go DRY.

Don't get me started on lights. I have the fabulous UK C8. Good light until you dive with a buddy who has an even better CANISTER light. OE2X is 100% correct. Makes me wish I had saved my $$ for the better light. (that is also on the replace ASAP list). The C8 will make a great back up light.

Cold_H2O:
Don't get me started on lights. I have the fabulous UK C8. Good light until you dive with a buddy who has an even better CANISTER light. OE2X is 100% correct. Makes me wish I had saved my $$ for the better light. (that is also on the replace ASAP list). The C8 will make a great back up light.
Lets see - my UK lights are now used as - one in my car, one in my truck, and the big pistol grip - that is a house flashlight. I never have understood what those bloody tank lights are for! If my buddy can't see me with my 21W can light - well never mind...:D

Having just gone through the same thing you are about to go through, I agree with all of the above. I dove for the first time last night with the gear configuration described above (Deep Sea Supply BP/W, turtle fins, dry suit, new regs (I went with Salvos, and was not disappointed at all), and a borrowed canister light) and it is a really streamlined, nice rig. Of course, I'm still, uh, getting used to buoyancy and the like, but I can already see the advantages here.

Nitrox cert is next week-I also immediately see the advantages there.

Having just put a lot of mileage on my credit card, I'd be happy to give you specifics and pointers about how to go about getting geared up-feel free to PM me. There certainly are some tricks in terms of saving some money here and there, but the bottom line, is that this is a steep spending curve to get set up.

Yes, the lights are damn expensive, but after diving Cove 2 yesterday, I can see why they are needed. Only problem is, I went to sleep thinking a 10w ($750) would work and woke up wanting a 21w Salvo ($1200+) . . . crap.

dsteding:
Yes, the lights are damn expensive, but after diving Cove 2 yesterday, I can see why they are needed. Only problem is, I went to sleep thinking a 10w ($750) would work and woke up wanting a 21w Salvo ($1200+) . . . crap.
Light envy is a terribly.............................. expensive disease. :D

As far as lights go, I absolutly love my UK C4 eLed. I don't have to be delicate with it as it's almost indistructible.. as I think eLed's are. I use it in and out of the water, and if you looked at it, you'd think I were using it as a hammer. The best part about the thing is it was cheap, and it keeps on working.

There's no amout to up you can spend... An excellent reg, an outstanding BC, a great suit, and the various other items, are the major purchases of diving listed in that order (in my opinion.) Budget according to whats essential, ALWAYS research the product you plan to purchase, be certin of your plan, then follow through.

Like I said, plan your work and work your plan.

I wonder if anyone ever gets chased away from diving when they hear about the cost of all this stuff. I know, if I had heard of all these prices up front, I might have thought I would never be able to afford it. I have been diving with lesser gear, and upgrading as budget permits, and it has worked out well with me.

Cold water diving makes life more difficult however. I rented drysuits long before I could afford to purchase one. However, I see people diving wet in 40 degree water all the time over where I'm at. For them, it's either that or no diving. For cold water diving, I agree, a good reg is probably number one. I have heard of too many free flow reports to think otherwise. There are several good regs out there that would fit the bill, some cost more than others. I have an inexpensive jacket BC that works fine. Would I prefer a BP/W? Probably, but later. $1,000 lights are out of the picture for the near, and probably forseeable future. And, for now, I rent my tanks.

You can do a lot of very fine and safe diving, and still stay on a budget. It still costs money, no matter what you do, but it should not lead to a divorce, or simply be the preserve of the the very wealthy or the young, single and childless. I think we get carried away with all the neat stuff that is out there that makes things easier and possibly more enjoyable, but, first things first. Let's encourgage people to dive safely and then they can figure out what other toys they need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom