Advice for Tall Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At 6'4", I'm on the short side of tall, but yeah...getting gear that fits is a pain, especially since manufacturers seem to think that anyone who's tall must be either (a) built like Hulk Hogan, or (b) built like a roly-poly barrel. I've got a Hollis 100 BC in the S/M size, and even then, the webbing is far longer than I need. I shudder to think how incredibly long the L/XL webbing must be.

probably the same length. Most of the time the harnesses are just one pre-cut piece of webbing and they'll grab the same lengths regardless of the sizing. Webbing costs the mfg about $.2/ft for the high end stuff, so it's easier to just cut everything the same length for production efficiency and waste a dollar of material

You don't have to be that tall for that. You're just too skinny. At 6'1"/185 I'm L going on XL in length, M in waist, and don't get me started on arms and legs.

No I think the problem is on their end. If you consider that I am at the tall end of the height range, on the higher end of the middle for weight BUT just barely hit the low end of the waist. What about someone who is 6'5" and 230, their waist would have to be closer to 36.

XXL 6’2-6’5 230-270 44-56

It's the exact opposite problem for short women. The average height for women in Canada is 5'4". Bare drysuit sizing starts at 5' 3.5". They basically ignore half the women. Then on top of that the 5' 3.5" - 5' 5.5" suit is an XS and will only fit if the woman is a size -1 to 0.

Hey manufacturers, listen up

Not all short women are skinny and not all tall guys are fat!

I am a,little over 6'7" and 220 lbs. I have long since accepted that perfection is the enemy of good and accepted that sleeves and legs will be short. I never hit my head because I know better than most to duck. The internet has made gear buying better. Camaro wetsuits have fit me pretty well in the past and I was able to buy a 4XL Aqualung Fussion Dry suit last week that seems to fit almost perfectly. Because of my size, I am a bit of a air hog, but I can also handle wearing a steel 120, which pretty much allows me to stay in the water as long as my air sipping 16 y.o. Daughter. Custom is great if have that kind of money, but off the rack (or special order) have been fine for the most part.

probably the same length. Most of the time the harnesses are just one pre-cut piece of webbing and they'll grab the same lengths regardless of the sizing. Webbing costs the mfg about $.2/ft for the high end stuff, so it's easier to just cut everything the same length for production efficiency and waste a dollar of material
I didn't know that. Thanks. But that raises the question, then, of what the size difference actually is between the S/M and L/XL sizes. I can't find any substantive info online, so I'm reduced to guessing. The BC's interchangeable parts such as the wing and the inflator hoses must be a universal size...so is it the shoulder strap length?

I didn't know that. Thanks. But that raises the question, then, of what the size difference actually is between the S/M and L/XL sizes. I can't find any substantive info online, so I'm reduced to guessing. The BC's interchangeable parts such as the wing and the inflator hoses must be a universal size...so is it the shoulder strap length?

it should be a combination of the backplate length and the shoulder pad length

I was JUST talking to my husband about getting him a shorty. PROBLEM: He is 6'9", 34" waist, 39" inseam. I decided to pop in here and look around..thoughts on one that won't cost an arm and a leg? He has a 2pc 5mm custom we did our check out dives and all subsequent dives in, but 1/2 of that is too warm for Mexico where we actually dive. I have a month and a half to solve this problem :D

No way duct tape would cut it....

Sure it would. You just didn't use enough of it..

8f09cc86245412f8b2b24e43e4d4bcf4--duct-tape-clothes-duct-tape-stuff.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom