Advice for Tall Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

God only made a few of us perfect people and most dive boats aren't created for us so I stand (or duck) by my advice. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
@tbone1004 much obliged for the advice. And @wildbill9, there's only so much ducking you can do before you start thinking "maybe they make something for this problem." I just casually got there today and realized I'd never really talked to anyone but my brother about tall person scuba.
in in

At 6'-7", things have been "challenging", and I've discovered the following:

Even to complete my certification, I had a custom wet suit made. To date, I've had 2 custom wet suits, and a custom dry suit made for me. No, nothing off the rack is ever even close. And, it's so much fun to pay a premium for a tall, which, like you said, usually assumes you must be >300# (I actually have >10" difference between my shoulder measurement and my smaller waist). Unless you are diving a double hose, don't ever consider wasting money on HP80 tanks. Once I found the DSS line of equipment, I've been much happier how my gear fit me (I own long and x-long plates). I don't know it I'd call it luck, but my hands and feet are actually "small" (normal population size), so no problems finding gloves/boots/fins. I doubt I'll ever do a LOB as boats just aren't made for me. Charters are a challenge enough. I loathe most gear benches on boats as they are too low to kit up easily. Even more so when it rocking/pitching a bit. The 7' hose results in my buddy and me looking like dogs greeting, so a longer one was sourced. My only "challenge" now is proper fitting dry suit under garments.

I did my training with a guy that was about 6'7"-6'8" (at least a couple inches taller than I am). He couldn't have weighed more than 180. The LDS had him in a rental 7 mm, until his custom came in, that fit ok on the body but was about 3" short on the legs. The solution was duct tape. They wrapped duct tape around his ankles to connect the boots to the wetsuit. It was really easy to spot him underwater.

I was 6'-7", 180# (college athlete) when I started..... My check out dives were in 38 degree water in May. No way duct tape would cut it....

@rhwestfall seriously. Most XXL drysuits/wetsuits are cut for guys about 30-40 pounds heavier than me and 3-4" shorter.

Out of curiosity, how long is your long hose? I'm alright with my 7' one, but I can see how it's going to be shorter if I get a longer backplate.

@rhwestfall seriously. Most XXL drysuits/wetsuits are cut for guys about 30-40 pounds heavier than me and 3-4" shorter.

Out of curiosity, how long is your long hose? I'm alright with my 7' one, but I can see how it's going to be shorter if I get a longer backplate.

I'm now 230#, and off the shelf stuff is still a loose mess around my middle, plus my inseam is 36", and my sleeve is 38", just makes everything silly short....

My Long hose is 96"... It's not really a plate length issue... If your stage is in your buddy's mouth (leading), and you are single file, avoiding being kicked in the face, but hand on leg for "communication", how much space do you want/need? The 7' wrap was also "tight".

I'm now 230#, and off the shelf stuff is still a loose mess around my middle, plus my inseam is 36", and my sleeve is 38", just makes everything silly short....

My Long hose is 96"... It's not really a plate length issue... If your stage is in your buddy's mouth (leading), and you are single file, avoiding being kicked in the face, but hand on leg for "communication", how much space do you want/need? The 7' wrap was also "tight".

Well, I'm definitely keeping you in mind for gear configuration questions in the future. We have very similar proportions. I can see where donating my primary could be an issue when single-file--I need to look into that more. Granted, I'm not a cave diver, and won't be any time soon, but perfect practice makes perfect.

I'm 6'5", 255 lbs, and the one thing I have noticed is that gear manufacturer don't do a very good job sizing tall people.

You don't have to be that tall for that. You're just too skinny. At 6'1"/185 I'm L going on XL in length, M in waist, and don't get me started on arms and legs.

At 6'4", I'm on the short side of tall, but yeah...getting gear that fits is a pain, especially since manufacturers seem to think that anyone who's tall must be either (a) built like Hulk Hogan, or (b) built like a roly-poly barrel. I've got a Hollis 100 BC in the S/M size, and even then, the webbing is far longer than I need. I shudder to think how incredibly long the L/XL webbing must be.

Back
Top Bottom