Advice for OW cert dives next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can not offer much but... I went to do my last OW dive at Devils Den but did not because of a cold.... I however seen the site looks neat... I did dive across the road at the Blue Grotto. Who is you instructor or what store?

I did my OW check-out dives in Devil's Den. Chilly, wear wetsuit and hood for max comfort.

Aquarium clear water, good platforms, and neat overhanging rock formations.

Navigation may be in the pond next to it, which with all the algae, makes seeing all but impossible.

It was fun.

I did my OW check-out dives in Devil's Den. Chilly, wear wetsuit and hood for max comfort.

Aquarium clear water, good platforms, and neat overhanging rock formations.

Navigation may be in the pond next to it, which with all the algae, makes seeing all but impossible.

It was fun.

Spring water is 72 year round and no thermocline....
^ look at me using that fancy word.... lol

Have a great time and try not to be the hovering parent you will want to be. As new divers you've got a whole new world to take in and get used to. Let the instructors & dms do what they do and your child will have an amazing time and so will you.

I love working with kids because for them being underwater is a completely different experience than it is for most adults. They flip and spin and twirl and everything...I mean EVERYTHING is so eyepoppingly interesting! When yall are certified and diving together remember to keep an eye out as kids tend to...wand a bit...but that's no more than most dive buddies anyway.

The water will be warmish. Like YJSONLY said, about 72*. The water is crystal clear and a 5mm wetsuit is the thickness of choice. Letting the pro run the dive and manage your kid will help you to relax and more importantly build your confidence in your child's diving ability and also their desire to dive. Hover (no pun intended) over them and be half and inch away the whole time and they are more likely to not be as excited about diving as you want them to be.

Have a great weekend and welcome to the wonderful world of diving!!

GO RAMS!!

Made it home and we are both certified. The kid certainly showed the old man up with buoyancy control, air usage and general competence. I will have a longer post with more reflections when I have a minute to organize my thoughts

Congrats! I'm looking forward to reading the full report.:clapping:

Good job. You will find that your kid is usually more comfortable and relaxed than you are. They aren't worrying for two. My daughter certed at 10 and son at 12. I teach quite a few kids. I advise all of the parents to make the kids carry their own weight. Don't do their work or dive for them. They will rise to the occasion and be quite capable. Usually better than many of the adults around. Have a great time diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom