Advice for Newbie: Computer vs Console and Integrated inflator vs Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divenomad:
Based on what you posted, you will have a console of some type due to cost considerations. Take a look at Suunto setups. The console can be easily modified by removing the computer from the SPG. If you hate the console, remove the computer from the mount, put it in a wrist mount. Lots of consoles can do this, just remove the "puck" style computer, but Suunto does a neat job. It's highly configurable and clean looking. That being said, not a big fan personally of consoles.

Wrist versions of computers have been cheaper in general than console versions from what I've seen. It costs extra for the "puck" it appears, may as well buy one with out the puck if a wrist is what you want.

I think ae3753 hit a lot of the points -- I'd only add that I have heard people who lobster do not like wrist gauges, because they get caught in the holes they stick their hands into, going after bugs.

I'm with the majority opinion here: I started out with a console, but it didn't last long. I love being able to check my depth and time with a simple glance, and without tying up a hand. I use a wrist computer in a Deep Sea Supply boot, so the computer won't get loose and floppy as my exposure protection compresses at depth (can't say enough good things about Tobin's computer and compass boots!)

I also started with an Air2, on the not unreasonable idea that streamlining was a good thing. After practicing airsharing with it a couple of times, I decided I didn't like it at all and replaced it with a long hose/bungied backup configuration.

You might enjoy browsing through the "What did you buy that you regret?" thread -- you'll see a lot of Air2s there.

Computers: Air integrated and wrist mount are da bomb! Oceanics VT3 is a wonderful unit and you can get it from Scuba.com HERE!

Air integrated octos: I tried them out when I was first certified. The concept is neat, but the execution is not. You have to have a REALLY long corrugated and LP hose to make it comfortable. I had issues turning my head all the way to the right because of this. When I am on back up, it means that I am in a situation where I don't need to limit my ability to observe what's going on around me! I much prefer a bungied octo around my neck!

I have a great desire to replace my console with the wrist computer whenever I can. Though consoles seems to be nice solution at first they are inconvenient to use. Neither depth gauge nor compass.

As for the hose integrated octo I'm considering buying one now as 60% of the time I dive with a pony and long primary hose when I dive w/o the bottle I need an alternative second stage. I do not want to put octo on a hose as I do not like to put more hoses.

Keep in mind though that you will need a long primary hose with the BC integrated air source.

It seems to me that if you're using an integrated inflator/octo you would have to remove the mouthpiece from your mouth to dump air from the BC. Is that the case? If so, that seems like it would be a real pain.

Saspotato.......

By modified, I mean I don't dive a long hose primary and bungeed secondary on my warm water rig. I dive a regular primary with longer hose secondary.

On my cold water rig, I dive a long hose/bungeed backup - but I use Poseidon regulators and they are not DIR..........

M

I think modified Hogarthian is probably more accurate than modified DIR.

I have a ScubaPro knighthawk with an Air2 and have learned how to share air with it. I dump air as i ascend with the dump valve located on my right shoulder. I also can dump air by removing the Air2 from my mouth, but minimizing tasks in a stressful situation can be helpful. Practicing with it has helped me with buoyancy control on ascent.

I also have an air integrated wrist computer(galileo sol). I enjoy using it, because it is so easy to use. However, for the cost of it, a person could buy alot of other equipment by purchasing something more reasonably priced.

If I were to be buying equipment today I would probably buy something other than an Air2. Since money is an issue in your gear selection I would spend less on a computer...i would suggest wrist mounted though...and spend more money on actual diving.

Hello all, thanks for your advice.

Money isn't a huge issue and from reading on the board, I get the feeling that you can grow out of gear - so for the computer, I rather spend less on it now and get a new one for the features I might need further down the track. I am thinking of something like the Suunto Gekko to start off with.

Regulators I will definitely pay abit more for better quality etc. I will get a second octopus - just makes more sense in an emergency environment.

Thanks again everyone!

My only observation here is with respect to the intergrated alternate air source.

While the owner of an intergrated may be proficient with its basic use, it becomes quite problematic when it's required to be used as the primary air source for the diver or the buddy.

The reasons have to do with the length of the hose itself, and the machinations required to, not only breathe from it, but also to effect the dumping of air as it expands in the B/C.

As mentioned previously, the intergrated alternate air source is good in concept, but, in my opinion, less than optimal in its use.

the K

Just my personal opinion -- if you are going to dive locally (and thus in somewhat cold water), I wouldn't buy a computer you couldn't get one of Deep Sea Supply's boots for. Putting your computer in a boot with bungied straps is SO nice, because it adjusts as your suit compresses and you don't have to fiddle with a dicey strap while you have thick gloves on, and thus run the risk of losing the gauge altogether. Tobin's boots ROCK!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom