Advice for Newbie: Computer vs Console and Integrated inflator vs Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Low

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys and girls

Just considering purchasing some gear in the near future (3-6 months) and there is so much selection and choice - I'm very mindful of the advice to try as much as possible - I just tried a back-inflate and that was great - no more squeezing

My question here is in regards to computers and regulators; appreciate any advice more experienced divers may have.

COMPUTERS
What are some of the things I should be considering when deciding between a wrist computer or an integrated console? At this stage I am not looking at air-integrated due to cost. I take it that a console will mean more accurate readings but a little cumbersome bringing it up constantly - what about air gauge and wrist computer? What disadvantages would there be?

REGULATORS
When purchasing regulators should I get an intergrated inflator with my BCD or have a second octo? Would I be correct in saying that it is always good to have a spare air - I'm thinking I probably can't travel with my BCD all the time - so a second octo would be better?

Appreciate your thoughts - if you require any additional information, please let me know but just interested in general feedback for now.

Thanks
Diving Low

My thoughts......

In most cases the consol computer and wrist unit are the same (excluding air-integrated consol)......I much prefer wrist mounting......I look at depth and NDL much more frequently than air......at least at this stage........

Advantage of the consol mount is that you can look at air when you check the computer......

As far as regs........I first started with a Tusa Duo Air, sold it and went to a back-up second stage. I dive what I call a modified DIR setup - BP/W, simple pressure gauge on a short HP hose, my primary on a 28" hose my secondary on a 40" hose.

On a recent trip to Maui, we used rental gear - with an AirII. It was a nice simple set-up......I am thinking of going back to octo/inflator (and BC), looking at the Sherwood Gemini.

Why? Do you ask...........

The Maui experience and while on a weekend live aboard out of Singapore, I saw the simplest rig I had ever seen.........

ScubaPro Classic Plus BC with AirII
MK25/S600 reg with Suunto D9 air integrated computer

Only one hose......the primary......and pockets for DSMB, reel and light.

I was really impressed with this rig..........

To dive a rig like this, you would need to be comfortable with controlling your buoyancy with the octo/inflator (the Classic Plus BC has a right shoulder dump to facilitate this) and the person you are sharing air with will be very close, as they will be on the relatively short primary hose.........

Food for thought........hope this helps......M

Forgot to add............

About travel, if you go the integrated/octo route, just take it with you...........

It takes all of a few minutes to attach it to any BCD...........

M

As far as regs........I first started with a Tusa Duo Air, sold it and went to a back-up second stage. I dive what I call a modified DIR setup - BP/W, simple pressure gauge on a short HP hose, my primary on a 28" hose my secondary on a 40" hose.

Why is this called a "modified DIR setup"? Was confused by that.

Diving Low, I started with a console computer as I liked the idea of air integrated computer (I had a Uwatec Smartcom). I bought a wrist as a back up in late Feb and after using that for one week I sold my Smartcom and would not go back to a console ever again. It is just so much easier to have my depth/time on my wrist as it is easier to do things like send up an SMB whilst ascending (pulling the console out when I am sending up an SMB is difficult as I don't have a hand free). Also just during the dive I barely have to alter position to see the main details I need for diving. I didn't realise how much of a pain pulling out a console was each time I wanted to check depth/time until I started using a wrist computer :wink:. I have an SPG clipped to my left d-ring on my harness and that is easy to view. I find I check my computer far more than my air pressure these days, though having the air integration was nice early on when I couldn't estimate my air pressure easily. Now I pretty much always know what my SPG will read before I check it.

Other things to consider with a computer is whether you want user replaceable batteries (I consider this a must now, but didn't realise what a pain it was to send my computer away for the changeover when I first got my Smartcom). Also think about whether you will ever need gas switching, gauge mode and nitrox, things like that.

With the inflator/occy combination, I honestly do not think much of those, but many people love them. It's personal preference. The reason why I do not like them is when I have had to share air, having people on a short hose has been a PITA to ascend as I have had to hug them pretty much. With an inflator/occy combination, if you do decide to get it, I would suggest getting a longer primary hose to make it easier to share air. I have a 5' primary hose (with bungeed backup) and when I have had to share gas with that, have found it heaps easier than a standard hose set up and I imagine having to share air with someone on a standard size primary hose (as you will need to donate your primary and then go onto the inflator yourself when sharing air) would be annoying.

Also if your inflator breaks, you will be without an occy as far as I understand the setup. Though most people would not dive with a broken inflator so that may not be relevant. I have had an inflator freeflow and just disconnected the hose, and continued the dive, manually inflating where needed (my buddy did around 25 dives with a broken inflator doing the same thing as he didn't have time to take it to a shop, not ideal but he was comfortable with this). But having a non-working inflator as well as a non-working occy would be a pain.

Also I believe (at least locally for me) servicing costs are more for an occy/inflator combination. Seems to be double from what I can see. But, this might not be the case for you so look into it.

Recycling part of something I posted earlier on Dive Computer for newbie thread.

Counsel vs Watch
Counsel Pro: Won't loose your computer.
Counsel Con: Can make the counsel bulky.
Watch Pro: Depth and Time easily available. Convenient if you need to manage depth (eg. safety stop).
Watch Con: Another piece of gear to remember.
My recommendation: Watch. I like having the depth and time readily available, and with arms in front, the computer is always in or near my field of vision. Great in situations were I have to multitask and manage depth.

2nd Regulator
Yes, it is good to have a 2nd regulator. Either for your buddy or for yourself.

Integrated Inflator/Regulator is obviously personal choice, but I'm not a fan. Opposite of Jorgy, I used it in Maui (I wonder if we had the same dive op) and found it cumbersome and unwieldy. If you can borrow a friend's set-up that has an Integrated Inflator/Regulator that would be ideal. They aren't cheap and don't hold resale value well*.

If you choose an Integrated Inflator/Regulator, just make sure you practice a few air sharing ascents to get the hang of it.

* I sold two Zeagle Rangers a while back. Both were the same condition, the only difference being the Integrated Inflator/Octo. The one with the standard inflator was sold for more $.

Saspotato.......

By modified, I mean I don't dive a long hose primary and bungeed secondary on my warm water rig. I dive a regular primary with longer hose secondary.

On my cold water rig, I dive a long hose/bungeed backup - but I use Poseidon regulators and they are not DIR..........

M

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of diving. Buying gear is very personal; everyone will have their own opinion. It is also a function of where you will be diving and the type of diving you plan on doing. Try the search function (to get a bunch of opinions). For example put in Octo II and see what comes up. My opinion: I use a console for my computer - I know others that insist that the only place for a computer is on your wrist. I'm not much in favor for the BC integrated Octo. You can put on a much better regulator as an octo using the “traditional” regulator set-up. Also, don’t forget the “pony” bottle set-up. Some people like Fords others like Chevys, I drive a Dodge.

I prefer wrist computers to consoles, and I don't like the integrated octo/inflators. There are lots of reasons for this, and if you use the search function you'll find that these topics have been discussed on literally hundreds of threads. You'll get a much more complete picture if you read some of those. Have fun!

Based on what you posted, you will have a console of some type due to cost considerations. Take a look at Suunto setups. The console can be easily modified by removing the computer from the SPG. If you hate the console, remove the computer from the mount, put it in a wrist mount. Lots of consoles can do this, just remove the "puck" style computer, but Suunto does a neat job. It's highly configurable and clean looking. That being said, not a big fan personally of consoles.

When diving for myself, I dive an air integrated octo, a wireless air integrated wrist computer and that's it. When diving with students, I dive with a SPG, an octo, and air integrated octo and a wrist computer. I do this because I had another instructors students swim up in bad vis and signal low air, I shared air with one, surfaced with both and found a very relieved instructor. The situation was not near as bad as it sounds, and I won't bore you with details, but no one was in danger. The students simply overreacted to a remarkable extent. 800 lbs in 15 feet is not an emergency. If the students had followed their dive briefing, their would have been no problem at all.

That being said, if I have the capability of sharing air with two students instead of one, well, why not? But that's the only time i use an octo, with students.

Again, let me be clear, these are all opinions.

Nomad

Back
Top Bottom