Advice for Maui diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife, myself, mother-in-law and father-in-law are planning a trip to Hawaii next month and would like to setup a few dives as well as hike and camp. We realize that with flights and visiting the volcano we have to really plan this out. It seems that there are an unlimited number of dive shops and locations and I was hoping to get a few recommendations on some hot spots before just picking a random shop and location. We're out for about 9 days and we'll rent a car the entire time.

Skills Levels
I've only gone diving 3 separate times myself and it was a few years ago. My wife is freshly certified and my in-laws haven't been in 10 years or so. (Mother-in-law may just snorkel) So we're pretty rusty/new. My in-laws went to a local shop to get caught up a few weeks ago and I'm going into one next week.

Vacation Schedule
Fly into Oahu May 17th - We're not diving on Oahu. Just hiking, and touristy stuff.
Fly into Maui on May 20th evening
  • May 20th - Fly in at night and grab a cheap hotel near a dive site
  • May 21st - Based on hotel location, shore or boat dive for the day
  • May 21st to 23rd - Camp for two nights, drive to Hana/black sand beach, visit Volcano, hike etc...
  • May 23rd to 26th - 3 nights at a hotel in Lahaina Maui. - Dive again 1 of these days and then some of the previous activities mentioned
  • May 26th - Fly out at 9PM

Now that I've explained all that and probably given you more than you really wanted, what are some of our options and what shops do we choose? If the altitude just won't work out with our plans for hiking and heading to the volcano, it's possible we can just dive for two days in Lahaina. (24th and 25th if that's enough time for the flight?) Any contacts for shops that you like and your favorite dive sites are greatly appreciated! Of course we would really like to keep costs down if possible. We're bringing our masks, snorkel and fins but will need to rent the rest. Thanks!

I am not a local so I will give you the tourist scuba diver take:

I was in Maui for Christmas and my experience is that you can find diving for all levels. To get your "feet wet" I would suggest doing a beach dive with a guide. The Kapalua Dive Company in the Kapalua resort has a great Kayak dive that is open even to uncertified divers (doing discovery dives) which is fairly easy and guided. Add more fun and follow with their scooter dive which is awesome and addicting. Then you can do a dive like Molokini in the crater which is fairly easy and can be also good for snorkelin.

All the shops have easy boat dives including Lahaina Divers which I recommend if you are on that side of the island but if doing Molokini it is further than the operations at Kihei. All the Dive shops in Maui seem to run trips for all levels and all have a good rep. I dove with Lahaina Divers since that was closer to where I was staying but also heard plenty of good recommendations from friends for Scuba Shack, Mike Severn's, and Ed Robinsons all in the Kihei area.

With all of your experience levels in mind, I will strongly recommend you dive with Lahaina Divers. They are excellent with inexperienced divers, extremely safety conscious, have great rental gear, and their big Newton dive boats provide stability and space for a very comfortable on-water experience. They also depart out of Lahaina Harbor, so if you're staying in Lahaina Town, you can walk to the shop and the boat for super easy and convenient access.

Shore diving would be the cheapest option, but honestly a charter to Lanai or Molokini with Lahaina Divers allows you to spend a fabulous morning on the water enjoying the views of Maui, Lanai, and Molokai from the water....a view you cant get any other way. More than worth the cost of the charter in my opinion.

Skills Levels
I've only gone diving 3 separate times myself and it was a few years ago. My wife is freshly certified and my in-laws haven't been in 10 years or so. (Mother-in-law may just snorkel) So we're pretty rusty/new. My in-laws went to a local shop to get caught up a few weeks ago and I'm going into one next week.

Vacation Schedule
Fly into Oahu May 17th - We're not diving on Oahu. Just hiking, and touristy stuff.
Fly into Maui on May 20th evening
  • May 20th - Fly in at night and grab a cheap hotel near a dive site
  • May 21st - Based on hotel location, shore or boat dive for the day
  • May 21st to 23rd - Camp for two nights, drive to Hana/black sand beach, visit Volcano, hike etc...
  • May 23rd to 26th - 3 nights at a hotel in Lahaina Maui. - Dive again 1 of these days and then some of the previous activities mentioned
  • May 26th - Fly out at 9PM

Hi guys, you're going to love the diving in Hawaii. I'd recommend diving Oahu if possible, a lot of great wrecks you can see! With that being said I recommend you guys check out Kaimana Divers, they're by far the best on the island. I'm forwarding this thread to Gabe, the shop owner (ScubaBoard username "scottitheduck"). Great guy, super helpful and he might be able to recommend some places in Maui.

Based on your experience level, I definitely recommend diving with a guide (Divemaster) plus its way more fun because they know the reefs like the back of their hand. When I dove Hilo, we saw a couple stonefish that were perfectly camouflaged. I would imagine they would be on Maui too but just goes to show you when you should be familiar with the area before you dive it. Check out tripadvisor.com, super helpful website with ratings on the best dive shops and businesses. Hope this helps have a safe, fun trip!

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice and recommendations! We really debated diving on Oahu but went ahead and booked flights to leave room for diving on Maui. Next time we go to Hawaii we'll be sure to dive on one of the other islands.

I checked out lahainadivers.com and we're thinking that we'll dive Turtle Reef on Friday the 24th and Molokini Crater on Saturday the 25th. (That or we dive Lunai) That leaves us about 33 hours before our flight out. That's enough time right? The site says all dives have dive guides so I think that will really help us enjoy the experience. It's definitely expensive for us but we're already flying to Hawaii so we want to make the best of it. Once again, thank you very much for the advice. This kind of trip can be very intimidating to plan out. I'm just finishing up school and am planning a fun trip before starting work.

Of course nothing is set in stone until we make reservations! We'll keep reading and make the reservations early next week. :)

Good info here for sure......

On Maui we have heard great things about Shaka Doug, Extended Horizons and Mike Severns. Truthfully they are pretty top notch over there so I'm sure you will have a blast with whomever you choose. Shaka Doug operates shore dives and can be good if you need to knock the rust off before gearing up for more adventures on the boats.

Best of luck and please post your trip report as it helps others looking for similar operators!

G

Haleakala is 10,023' so allow a day after diving to drive up there. Even some of the up-country areas near Kula exceed 3000' or so. The road to Hana goes up to about 1400' before dropping down to sea level. So you shouldn't have any problem there.

Cheap hotels and Maui are mutually exclusive. In Lahaina there's the Best Western Pioneer Inn or Lahaina Inn. Both would be walking distance from shops, restaurants etc. Lahaina Divers keeps their boat nearby also. I'd suggest them also for the reasons DiveMaven mentioned.

It's a 45min. drive south to Kihei and the boats leave the ramp there between 6-6:30AM - not my idea of when I want to get up on vacation. Lahaina Divers has an almost civilized 7AM check-in. Turtle Reef is often a generic title for dives along the Maui coast where you'll see Turtles. Often at/near the Carpathian. Typically those are second dives so if you can dive Molokini one day and Lanai the next for the same money, I'd do that instead. Even Lahaina Divers with their big boat may move back over to "Turtle Reef" on their 2nd Molokini dive since the tradewinds make boarding more difficult unless you're inside the crater. That's also why the Kihei boats leave so early - to beat them coming back.

The other signature Maui dives are the Cathedrals off Lanai. They're easy dives also - just overhead obstructed. But divers of all levels go there daily. Anything along south Lanai is sheltered so typically easier dives and easier re-entries onto the boat. Some sites the moorings are in small bays so totally protected.

Mala Pier is a good shallow shore dive but the legal entry is a little tricky. Either go with a guide or ask Lahaina Divers. And there can be boat traffic nearby. Or try the Sheraton Black Rock or Old Airport Beach - both are easy entry, shallow dives. Kapalua Bay is a good one also but it's a little north. Guides in that area - among others - are Scuba Mike or anyone at Tiny Bubbles Scuba - that's all they do is shore diving. Shaka Doug often gets mentioned here as well but he only works in South Maui due to his permit. Recommended if you want to drive down and meet him. If you are going to shore dive a flag is required - the shops rent them.

You might also look for a rental in Kahana or Kaanapali. It's not as convenient but some of the big hotels on the beach - Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, Kaanapali Shores, Lahaina Shores Beach Resort, etc. will be sub $200 per night.

I'd look into a condo as they'll be larger, cheaper and have full kitchens etc. Many are on the beach as well. Late May there should be a bunch available reasonably since the kids are still in school. A couple are blocks from shore dives if you want to try that later in the week. Rentals are at Maui Dive Shop in Lahaina Gateway mall or from Lahaina Divers - both a short drive away.

Look on vrbo.com, use Lahaina and Kahana or Kaanapali as search criteria. I've seen one called Aina Nalu pop-up occasionally, always multiple units and it's always reasonable - around $150. IDK why that is - maybe it's not oceanfront. In that area there's not really anything like a "bad" neighborhood.

There's also a lot of condos in the mega-resort area of Kaanapali and Kahana - some in large multi-story complexes, others nearby. Most are beachfront and most have multiple rental units. So for you, competition is a good thing, you should be able to find a 2BR unit for just under $200/nt. Most 1 BR's will have a pull-out in the living room and are even cheaper. Honokowai, Kahana Sands, Kahana Shores - are some in that area.

Another place that's more reasonable is Napili Bay. It's a little north of Kaanapali so about a 10-15min. drive to Lahaina. It's quieter, a smaller area just south of Kapalua - you'll drive to most things from there including food. There's a beach restaurant and a couple of other options closer to the main road but it's much quieter than Kahana/Kaanapali. The advantage Kaanapali has is the 4 miles of beach and the shops/restaurants within walking distance. Shore dives there are too far to walk to though typically - unless you stay at the Sheraton. Another Maui Dive shop in Kahana Gateway nearby also rents dive gear. Not all their locations do though.

There are some older condo complexes in Napili - low rise units right on the beach. Kapalua Bay Beach is the next bay over - you can walk there. It's also one of the nicest beaches on Maui. And the shallow shore dive mentioned above. After you get a few refresher dives, it's one I'd consider doing without a guide, it's a beach entry and most of the dive is less than 40'. Not faulting Kapalua Dive Co. but they get $85pp. for that dive.

Last edited:
I will be in Maui the 19th thru the 29th. Maybe we can hook up and I can help you guys get your fins wet. I have a lot of shores dives in Maui over the last few years. I also am going for my divemaster cert right now. We could do a easy shore dive or 2 just to get you guys comfortable.

I will be in Maui the 19th thru the 29th. Maybe we can hook up and I can help you guys get your fins wet. I have a lot of shores dives in Maui over the last few years. I also am going for my divemaster cert right now. We could do a easy shore dive or 2 just to get you guys comfortable.

Hey Steve where are you guys staying this time? I have the scooter running good! Just saw two Mantas yesterday for my birthday!

Greg Walker
www.mauiscooterdivers.com

Greg, in Lahaina. I want to book at least 2 days with you and maybe more if I can. And for sure lunch at Stella Blues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom