Advice for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grillins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, everyone. New guy here. I've always had a fascination with scuba diving, but now getting a late start in life with it. I used to do a lot of snorkeling when I was stationed in Hawaii (2002-2007). That is where I discovered my love for Mares fins. So, I ordered the Quattro+ for this adventure. I have completed my online book work. Now, I need to do my pool training and OW dives (freshwater springs in Florida) next month August 2024. I have been researching, and basically, it's hard for a bigger guy to find fitting equipment. I did find a fatsuit for wet people (pushing the limits on that one, but thanks to Henderson for showing love to the horizontally gifted). I'm really liking the HOG series. I have never heard of them, until I started this journey. The dive shop I'm going through has a partnership with them. I'm really liking what I'm seeing in regards to the Zenith D3 series and a couple of the their BCDs. One being the Hybrid Pro, and the other being the total buoyancy control system. The more I read, the heavier I'm leaning on that BP/W. Also read on many of these threads that BP/W are better suited for bigger guys. 5'11 and 290lbs. Not exactly my old Marine Corps playing weight. I'm not worried about the water. I have to do water qualifications to keep my job as a merchant mariner. So, with an introduction mixed with all of the rambling, I see that I could fit the Hybrid Pro. I like that it has two shoulder dumps considering it's a 58lbs lift capacity. The TBCS has 23, 32 and 60lbs lift options. It seems the 32lbs would be a stretch for someone my size in a 5mm wetsuit being weighted down. Like I'd need the SMB for an extra helping hand to get back to the surface. Would the 60lbs bladder be too much? I do want to have my own gear to learn on. HOG seems reliable and within my budget range. I'm just curious as to what you all think. I look forward to learning from you guys as well.

The 32-pound lift should be plenty for single tank recreational diving. I have a friend who’s a very big guy (considerably larger than you), and a BC with thirty pound lift is able to float his weights and tank without a problem. Have you been able to try the BC on, to see if you like the way it fits on you?

Not sure where in Florida you’re located, but I just commented on another intro post with this info, and you might find it useful as well, so sharing here as well:

if you’re looking to meet other local divers, there’s a dive club in Gainesville (Scuba Monkey Dive Club) that meets the first Tuesday of the month, and a dive club in Williston (Florida Springs Dive Club) that meets the second Thursday of the month. Both do a monthly club dive.

I believe SMDC is doing a night dive on Rainbow River this Friday (July 12), and Florida Springs is doing a club dive on Saturday (July 13), location TBD (people’s choice, they’re voting now).

I can't be any help with your questions about that gear, but I hope you get answers, and welcome to the board.
No worries, and I appreciate it. I emailed HOG, and they set me straight for what I needed. Looking forward to August.

The 32-pound lift should be plenty for single tank recreational diving. I have a friend who’s a very big guy (considerably larger than you), and a BC with thirty pound lift is able to float his weights and tank without a problem. Have you been able to try the BC on, to see if you like the way it fits on you?

Not sure where in Florida you’re located, but I just commented on another intro post with this info, and you might find it useful as well, so sharing here as well:
I appreciate the information. I live in Northeast Florida near Jacksonville. My second checkout dive will be at the KP Hole/Rainbow River (Blue Grotto being the first day), so I will definitely check these guys out. Unfortunately, I have not been able to try on the BC. I've been stuck on a tugboat now for two months. I typically work 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off, but had to pull 10 weeks straight this time. And thats ok because the extra money is funding this adventure (classes and gear). I'll be going home at the end of this month. Thanks again for the information.

Welcome to the boards and best wishes to you on your diving journey. I personally dive with a HOG BP/W and enjoy it. I'm also a big one at 6' 265lbs and have no issues with it. HOG regulators are very dependable and economical and will serve you well. Have fun and Semper Fi!

Welcome.

Keep focused on the training, both academic and skills. Ask your instructor to observe multiple repetitions of a skill until you’re comfortable you’ve got it.

Great that you’ve discovered the advantages of a BP/W. However, accept up front that because this is an equipment-intensive activity and we don’t know what we don’t know until we’re well into it that it’s difficult to hit a first time bullseye with gear purchases.

Thank you for your service in the USMC and the USMM. Not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine!

Have fun and keep us posted!

Thank you, everyone for the replies, information and encouragement. I'm itching to hit the water. My goal is to get passed the OW, so I can spend even money on camera housings, and hit the springs all over again. Maybe some saltwater here and there. But I love those springs.

Welcome.

Keep focused on the training, both academic and skills. Ask your instructor to observe multiple repetitions of a skill until you’re comfortable you’ve got it.

Great that you’ve discovered the advantages of a BP/W. However, accept up front that because this is an equipment-intensive activity and we don’t know what we don’t know until we’re well into it that it’s difficult to hit a first time bullseye with gear purchases.

Thank you for your service in the USMC and the USMM. Not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine!

Have fun and keep us posted!
Thank you for the encouragement. I look forward to it. Semper Fi.

Welcome to the boards and best wishes to you on your diving journey. I personally dive with a HOG BP/W and enjoy it. I'm also a big one at 6' 265lbs and have no issues with it. HOG regulators are very dependable and economical and will serve you well. Have fun and Semper Fi!
Thank you for replying and for the encouragement. I'm a little nervous, but very anxious to get started. Im stoked. Semper Fi!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom