Advice for a Christmas dive trip to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero - For flights on Thai Airways I was looking at a "multi-destination trip" on the website which came up as 25,190 THB for 2 people for the dates above. Is there a specific place to go to book a "Discover Thailand travel pass" that is cheaper?

Take a look here. Scroll down to the "Discover Thailand" section.

Ok, I need help in a non-dive related aspect of my trip (I hope that is ok). We want to stay on/near Patong beach Dec 31-Jan 4 for the New Year's Party. I need some good recommendations on hotels. My husband and I are both in our 20s. For the Phuket leg of our trip we are looking to dive a little (but not near as much as we plan on doing in Khao Lak), party (especially NYE on Patong), shop, and go to the beach. Price range: $50-150 USD if possible. The lower the price, the better (but we still want A/C, hot water, King bed, etc). Thanks in advance!

My husband and I are looking into going to Thailand this Christmas for ~2 weeks. We are looking at diving the majority of time and also visiting Bangkok and Chang Mai while we are there. We are not really "resort" or "tour" people; we prefer to do our own thing and immerse ourselves in local culture. Problem is: neither of us have been to Asia nor speak the language. So here are the main questions I have:

1. Where is the best diving? Many have told me Phuket, but others say that it is too touristy and the islands are better. We are both advanced divers.

2. As far as organizing a couple day trips to Bangkok/Chang Mai, what are the best/cheapest ways to travel? Anyone have a good routine?

3. Any tricks on getting cheap flights? I am located in Illinois about 3 hours south of Chicago. We have looked at layovers in Europe. Not sure the best way to get there, but I like to break up long plane rides.

4. What are some affordable places to stay and dive? I have been told good rental equipment is cheap to rent. Do you bring your own gear? We like to travel very light.

Thanks a bunch for all your help!!

You have many routes with only one layover to get to thailand, from chi town you can fly to frankfurt and take a connecting flight to bangkok. Or fly via LAX to bangkok. From frankfurt there are 4 flight to bangkok non stop, 3 with thai airway and one with lufthansa, this is the one I use personally. London also has couple of flight to thailand daily. 2 via thai airway, 1 via british airways. Think that there is one non stop to bangkok with thai from lax. You are traveling during peek season to thailand especially from Frankfurt.

You may want to check out diving from Krab-Ao Nang or Khao Lak. Krabi-Ao Nang you can do allot of dives that you can do from phuket like Koh Phi Phi, and it is not quite as crowed. Khao Lak is about 1 hour north of Phuket airport. It is the best place if you want to dive the similian island with out doing a live aboard. It takes about 45 min to get to the similian island from Khao Lak.

I you want to explore the country, you may want to rent a car. You can fly to chaing mia form krabi or phuket airport with thai and some of the budget airlines. You can actually get the ticket the day you want to fly. It is the same price.

With your accommodation, you can pick the local hotels, then then to be a bit less. Or you can rough it like the European backpacker. Rooms a night can be as little as 35 dollars.

Pretty much all the good dive shop rent good equipment. In phuket sea bees is pretty good, Krabi I was happy with IQ scuba, and Khao Lack I used sea dragon and Liquid.

If you stay in the krabi or Khao lak renting a car is a good idea. You can explore more. You Khao Lak is about 1:20 min from Patong Beach the tourist mecca of phuket and Phuket town is nice to visit for day trips. I always rent a car when I go to thailand. Just make sure you go to AAA and get a international lic, it is a easy fine for the thai police to give tourist without the international lic. It is about 20 bucks I think. If you worry about getting lost, gps is a options form avis and budget rental cars. Avoid the scooters, there is no such thing as insurance for tourist even if the shops say it does. It get damage why you rent it you are paying for it even if it is not your fault. And it is stay very warm and there are sudden down pours at times. I is still the rain season.

You can also travel by air condition buses from bangkok to chiang mai, phuket and krabi, but it is can be up to a 12 hour bus ride. It is cheap though.

Ok, I need help in a non-dive related aspect of my trip (I hope that is ok). We want to stay on/near Patong beach Dec 31-Jan 4 for the New Year's Party. I need some good recommendations on hotels. My husband and I are both in our 20s. For the Phuket leg of our trip we are looking to dive a little (but not near as much as we plan on doing in Khao Lak), party (especially NYE on Patong), shop, and go to the beach. Price range: $50-150 USD if possible. The lower the price, the better (but we still want A/C, hot water, King bed, etc). Thanks in advance!

You may want to rethink about staying in patong beach, it is really crowed. Also if you fly to phuket, there are plenty of hotel agency at the airport that will offer you deals.

I would would avoid flying with any chinese airlines except with shanghai air, air china, or eastern china area. The other chinese airlines have really bad maintenance record. So I would avoid flying in China

Anyone have a good recommendation for a resort in Khao Lak? I would prefer it to be ocean front with easy access to dive operations. Natural looking would be great. Internet and close to town is a plus. I would like to keep it under 4,000 Baht a night. I was looking at "Khao Lak Resort," but not sure if there are better options out there.

How much are you looking to spend. The Le Meridian is really nice, but something less expensive that is a bit away form the crowds with a very quite beach, look at the Khao Lak orchid beach resort. The hotel is not that expensive, but the quite beach wins.

How much are you looking to spend. The Le Meridian is really nice, but something less expensive that is a bit away form the crowds with a very quite beach, look at the Khao Lak orchid beach resort. The hotel is not that expensive, but the quite beach wins.

We are staying in Khao Lak Dec 23-31 to do the majority of our diving (Staying at Nangthong Bay Resort). Then, we are going to Phuket Dec 31 - Jan 4 for more diving and partying on NYE. I would like to spend under 4,000 Baht a night in Phuket if possible. On the beach is not essential, but it needs to be walking distance to the beach and to the town/shopping.

Thanks for all your help!

We are staying in Khao Lak Dec 23-31 to do the majority of our diving (Staying at Nangthong Bay Resort). Then, we are going to Phuket Dec 31 - Jan 4 for more diving and partying on NYE. I would like to spend under 4,000 Baht a night in Phuket if possible. On the beach is not essential, but it needs to be walking distance to the beach and to the town/shopping.

Thanks for all your help!

If you want a nice hotel right in patong beach on the higher end is the millennium resort is nice, if you want to stay a little further out the Le Meridian is about 10 min form patong. It is really nice, right about 4000 bht a night. It is a highest end property.:D

If you want a nice hotel right in patong beach on the higher end is the millennium resort is nice, if you want to stay a little further out the Le Meridian is about 10 min form patong. It is really nice, right about 4000 bht a night. It is a highest end property.:D

Those are both really nice looking, but over 10,000 Baht Dec 31- Jan 4 (Peak season). Any other recommendations :wink:

Those are both really nice looking, but over 10,000 Baht Dec 31- Jan 4 (Peak season). Any other recommendations :wink:

The dusit are a high end thai hotels. But you are going on a peck weekend. You will have problems finding a good hotel for under 7000bht

PS if you can fly thai airway, singapora or cathy pacific. Their have way better service the the US airlines.

The dusit are a high end thai hotels. But you are going on a pick weekend. You will have problems finding a good hotel for under 7000bht

PS if you can fly thai airway, singapora or cathy pacific. Their have way better service the the US airlines.

Yeah, we booked all our domestic flights with Thai Airways:
Dec 18 - Dec 20 - Bangkok
Dec 20 - Dec 23 - Chiang Mai
Dec 23 - Dec 26 - Phuket
Dec 26 - Jan 4 - Khao Lak
Jan 4 - Jan 8 - Bangkok

I have found a lot of hotels in Phuket around 4,000 Baht a night that are a little off the beach. Not sure which is the one to go with. A nicer one would be nice, but with a 3 week trip the price is starting to snowball :) We weren't aware that things were 3-5X the price during "Peak Season."

Back
Top Bottom