A week of diving in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimInNB

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am deciding between Koh Tao (and the flight/ferry it entails after already flying for 32 hours to get to Bangkok) and Phuket (which is considerably easier to get to.

Timeline is mid-March 2024.

Comments?
Anything you can offer for a woman traveling alone? Not big on nightlife (as I will be asleep to prepare for the next morning's dive), but I want amazing dives.

Probably once in a lifetime trip - I usually go to Cozumel Mexico for dive trips.

Thanks for any comments you can provide!

Skip Tao. March isn't the worst time to dive it, but it'll still be pretty murky, and most of its sites are unremarkable in the best of times. If you want good dives, take a liveaboard to Similans/Richelieu Rock, or maybe even Burma - I saw earlier today that The Smiling Seahorse has four spots left on March 5-12 trip to Mergui archipelago.

If you’re traveling in March go to Koh Lipe instead. I’ve travelled from Bangkok to Hat Yai with Air Asia then a combined taxi/ferry to the island. It was quicker than the bus/ferry to Koh Tao. Koh Lipe is more laid back than Koh Tao, still a selection of dive operators to pick from. I’ve used DJL, Koh Lipe Divers, and Sultan Divers.

Bangkok is a must for first time visitor to the Kingdom.

1. Phuket
LoB to Similan.
The day trip is absolutely waste of money/time. One trip before the LoB is the most. And make sure King Crusier wreck is not in the itinerary.

2. Koh Lanta
Fly to Krabi from Bangkok and then transfer to the island. The cost for the transfer from the airport to your hotel of choice(west coast) is less than B500.00(~C$18.00). Good diving(full day trip) but the cost(breakfast and lunch are included) is relatively high as the sites are very far.

3. Koh Lipe
As already suggested. Dive sites are a lot closer so the cost is lower.
Travelling between 2 and 3 is about 3hrs by speed boat.

4. Koh Tao
A bit early to dive the east coast in the Kingdom. Two good sites, Chumphon pinnacle and Sail rock, the rest is very ordinary.

5. Koh Chang
Diving is NOT that great.

"Once in a life time"!
LoB to Similan, not easy to find a spot now.

Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe are far less touristy than Phuket. Combination of these two islands is a good alternative to Similan.

I am in NO position to give any advice to a single female traveller.
Have a nice trip.

Back
Top Bottom