Advice: Cozumel Dive Operators and Lodging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllanHarr

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I are traveling to Coz in mid - December. Does anyone out there have any dive operator / dive master suggestions? Any advice on where to stay? We've heard that the Fiesta Americana is nice...

Start by querying the forums here, then tripadvisor to read all the reviews.

Dave from Aldora Divers has compiled a list of his hotel recommendations on his website. Not exhaustive and somewhat subjective, but very informative.
Hotels
To get more info, I'd suggest you ask a mod to move your post to the main Cozumel forum and, most importantly, that you elaborate on what you are looking for :
for the hotel : beach ? pool ? close to town ? price range ?
for the diving : small/big boat ? steel/AL tanks ? cheaper/valet service ?

Dive ops that we have enjoyed and would use again:

Aldora Divers (steel tanks)
Living Underwater (steel tanks)
Dive with Martin (aluminum tanks, but very inexpensive)

Best bang for the buck hotels that we have tried:

Hotel Cozumel
Casa Mexicana

Favorite places to stay without a budget:

Iberostar
Cozumel Palace

Just search on this forum for countdown timers, there several articles on how to create you own.

We were extremely impressed with Blue Magic Scuba and their dive master Gabriel Santana.

We rented a house through "Go Cozumel" -- small 1 bedroom in Corpus Christi neighborhood. Very inexpensive. Our next trip in December we'll be staying @ hotel Pepita because it's approx $40/night. We like to spend our money on the dives, not the digs! :D

We returned on November 12th and had a great time with "Blue Magic" and Pumba as our dive master. We had 4 people on their fast boat "Attila" and got everywhere we wanted to go very quick. The equipment was flawless and the dives were great. Pickup at the Coz Palace was 8:45 and we passed a lot of boats that started out way before us. After 2 dives we were usually back at the pool by 12:30. Every pickup was on time except when they were 5 minutes early on the third day. On Day 1 we were shut down due to weather and I got a call at the hotel at 8:00 by Joyce giving me plenty of warning. We adjusted our plans and spent the day golfing at the Playacar club while the wives enjoyed the Hot Rock spa treatment in the Playacar spa, both courtesy of the Palace points program. We have used them before and we will use them again.

As for sleeping quarters, we are stuck with the Cozumel Palace. My wife will not let us stay anywhere else. This was the third time in 2 years, and we already set for another stay in April. We have never been let down at that hotel. Every time we go, I expect something to get worse. It is always great or better. By far the best Hotel experience I have ever had. They act like they are happy to have us there. Every time. I think they really mean it. By the way, we are not Palace members, we just like it there. We found the Cozumel Palace through the reviews section of Expedia.

Hope you have a great time wherever you stay.

Don

Back
Top Bottom