adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lackingcreativity

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I was hoping I could get some infromation on some off the beaten path springs. I have pretty much been to all of the comercial spring, and a lot of the state parks with springs in them. I wanted to know if there were some more remote springs in Flordia? It doesn't matter how I get there; boat, car, whatever; I am just feeling a little more adventurous that the standard commercial spring operation.
Thanks

If you dont already have a copy, you may want to get the latest edition of Ned DeLoache's Diving Guide to UNDERWATER FLORIDA. As it says on the cover it has "Maps and directions for 600 of Florida's best ocean and spring dives."

Bonne chance,

Cypress and Becton Springs are only accessible by boat now. Cypress was run commercially, but that was like 3 year ago. Cypress is a beautiful dive pretty much anytime and Becton is a good way to kill off a half dead tank :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Cypress and Becton Springs are only accessible by boat now. Cypress was run commercially, but that was like 3 year ago. Cypress is a beautiful dive pretty much anytime and Becton is a good way to kill off a half dead tank :)

SBM knows I am a HUGE fan of Cypress, so my vote is right there with his. :thumb:

SuPrBuGmAn:

Is cypress covered in the DeLoache book? I believe I have it somewhere, thanks for reminding me of it.

They talk about it in the DeLoach book, but they still list it as commercially operated(atleast in my 10th Ed, there is a newer edition out that may be more up-to-date). The directions will lead you to privately owned property, so they are pretty much useless.

If you want to grab a boat/canoe/kayak somewhere. Take the McCrary/Caryville Exit(Exit 104) and head South on 279 until you hit 79. Go South/West(right) on 79 into Vernon and take 277 North/East(left). Once you're 3-4 miles down that road you'll be wanting to look for a 'Public Boat Launch' sign thats half obscured by a stop sign on the left-hand side of the road. Take that road until it dead-ends at the boat launch. I don't remember the actual name of the road, but there is a sign marking the boat launch, just slow down so you can see it. :)

From the launch, head to the right(north/east) for Cypress or left(south/west) for Becton. Heres a bit of a map for you with the springs and boat launch marked. Cypress is clear with water up to ~11-12'(thats technically a flood situation). Becton was clearing w/20' of visibility directly over the vents then tapering off to 3' vis in tannic water the further from the vents you go, with the water levels at 6'.

You can check river water levels here http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?tae&carf1

Here are some pics from Cypress and Becton from our last trip there on 6-19-5 http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album21

There are plenty of springs/sinks in Florida that are not commercially run. If you know or get to meet any regular cave divers (mostly living in the Gainesville-Tallahassee corridor), ask about holes. There are a ton of off-the-beaten-path springs and sinks that are pretty awesome. Most require some form of swearing secrecy/blindfold/going at midnite/etc... but many are listed on a website. I'll try to find the link

Divesherpa:
There are plenty of springs/sinks in Florida that are not commercially run. If you know or get to meet any regular cave divers (mostly living in the Gainesville-Tallahassee corridor), ask about holes. There are a ton of off-the-beaten-path springs and sinks that are pretty awesome. Most require some form of swearing secrecy/blindfold/going at midnite/etc... but many are listed on a website. I'll try to find the link
Don't know much about it yet. (caverns n caves) Was looking at diving blue grotto soon and came across this...... www.floridacaves.com Not sure if there's anything useful to you but it's a start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom