Adventure Diver to AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You definitely want to see the student in the water before dong the deep dive, whether it is a requirement or not. I have one very memorable incident to show it.

I had two AOW students, and we did 3 dives the first day together, including navigation. On those dives, one of them was really bad on air usage. I worked hard with him on that, but he was still pretty bad. The next day we led off with the deep dive, and I had the two of them plan a multi-level plan with turn pressures based on what we had learned about the SAC rates the first day. Well, when we went deep (about 95 feet), his SAC rate went from bad to horrendous--we were at the first ascent pressure the second we reached that depth. Because of that first day, his buddy was right on top of it, and I watched with satisfaction as that buddy monitored his gas and led us all to the surface with the proper safety stop, etc. The air hog finished the dive with 400 PSI, and I used less than 800 PSI--and I was not remotely trying to conserve air. I am very glad we were watching for that because of our previous dives. I would have hated to have that incredibly bad SAC rate be a complete surprise.

A couple have mentioned the rarity of the situation being discussed (Having to have Adventure Diver, but not AOW and then doing the 5 specialties). JackD listed some of the other ways PADI makes money from sales. Yet for some reason, the question about getting 5 specialties before AOW has been asked more than once on SB. Thus my reason for feeling the AOW card should be given at cost in this rare situation to avoid looking cheap. It would be good publicity, as someone mentioned that we are talking so much about this very rare situation on the biggest scuba forum.

I do not find a PADI standard restricting Deep from the first dive. Please point me to it if it exists.
It existed for about 6 months in 2009. See TB 1Q2009 (where it became a standard) and TB 3Q2009.(where it unbecame a standard).

It is not in the standards. I can't remember when and where I first learned about it. I want to say it was in a training bulletin and then covered during one of PADI's annual update seminar conducted by the regional rep. .
See above. You need to keep listening and reading, not just once!

I believe that junior students aged 13-14 can qualify for junior AOW by doing a “deep”dive that is deeper than 60 feet (OW limit) and shallower than 70 feet (junior 13-14 limit). Then assuming that they also do the navigation dive and three other adventure dives with the AOW classroom work, they will have junior AOW, which will automatically convert to AOW at age 15. No standard to go to 100 feet.

I believe that junior students aged 13-14 can qualify for junior AOW by doing a “deep”dive that is deeper than 60 feet (OW limit) and shallower than 70 feet (junior 13-14 limit). Then assuming that they also do the navigation dive and three other adventure dives with the AOW classroom work, they will have junior AOW, which will automatically convert to AOW at age 15. No standard to go to 100 feet.
Correct.

I think that's the point. It is almost unthinkable that anyone would get five full specialties and then ask for the AOW certification.

One reason is that you cannot get the deep dive specialty without already having either the AOW or the Adventure Diver certification first. That means a diver who demands AOW after getting all 5 specialties first would have to already have the Adventure Diver certification, which is in itself an extreme rarity.

I think demanding that PADI have a policy like this in place is on the order of the Catholic Church having plans in place for when a Pope converts to Islam.

I think you are right about the chances of this happening. That is why i asked about calling in for a waiver. A sit down with an instructor (currrent process) is just as workable so long as an hour of sit down does not cost the same as a course. But just ehe same if someone did come in with the proper cards and no AOW it should be liked at as impossible to happen or issue him the. card. I was not aware that you could not take a deep course with out a AOW as a prereq. Is that the same in all agencies. What would happen with a deep dive in a log book with a instructor signed log entry.

I had mentioned my friend in another post that is a retired NAVY deep hard hat diver RB 200 ft diver and cant get a OW card with out taking a class. I know they have a conversion program for them at the corporate level somewhere. But no one locally seams to be able to apply the logic and issue a card. SSI I bet would in a heartbeat unless they have changed their policies.

What would happen with a deep dive in a log book with a instructor signed log entry.
Just having a logged dive in a log book does not qualify you for any continuing education course for any agency. Can you imagine anyone going to a cave instructor and saying, "Even though I have no official cave training, I have been doing lots of cave dives on my own. Look at my log book and you will see that I have completed all the qualifications for cave certification. Please give me the card."

I had mentioned my friend in another post that is a retired NAVY deep hard hat diver RB 200 ft diver and cant get a OW card with out taking a class. I know they have a conversion program for them at the corporate level somewhere. But no one locally seams to be able to apply the logic and issue a card. SSI I bet would in a heartbeat unless they have changed their policies.

I don't have the time or inclination to research this right now, but off the top of my head the rules PADI has for certification of an experienced diver would provide an expedited path to a certification card, but would not just issue a card for a completed PADI course without any actual coursework or in-water evaluation and testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom