Adventure Diver to AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just having a logged dive in a log book does not qualify you for any continuing education course for any agency. Can you imagine anyone going to a cave instructor and saying, "Even though I have no official cave training, I have been doing lots of cave dives on my own. Look at my log book and you will see that I have completed all the qualifications for cave certification. Please give me the card."
I did not sugggest that

I don't have the time or inclination to research this right now, but off the top of my head the rules PADI has for certification of an experienced diver would provide an expedited path to a certification card, but would not just issue a card for a completed PADI course without any actual coursework or in-water evaluation and testing.
this is not a bug deal to speak of it is an issue of civilian not recognizing a military certification because it is not PADI or an other readily known name. The shops I have spoke to are not even aware that there is a agency process for them. Those that will attempt will not touch it because the documents are not the original certified copies. We are working on this on our end. Its just a shame that these folks are denied and have no means to meet requirements because they are no longer with the military unit that issued their accreditation.

I went throught he same ignorance issue when i tried to get a nitrox fill with my trimix card.

this is not a bug deal to speak of it is an issue of civilian not recognizing a military certification because it is not PADI or an other readily known name. The shops I have spoke to are not even aware that there is a agency process for them. Those that will attempt will not touch it because the documents are not the original certified copies. We are working on this on our end. Its just a shame that these folks are denied and have no means to meet requirements because they are no longer with the military unit that issued their accreditation.

I went throught he same ignorance issue when i tried to get a nitrox fill with my trimix card.
I did not know there were military certifications. Silly question maybe, but are there no records, online or otherwise of military certifications nowadays?

I have no idea what you are talking about here. I would like to respond, but I can't.

In 2009 there was a PADI certification called Experienced Diver. It gave you an OW card if you could show proof of having done 20 dives or had some kind of other certification, like military. You had to do a Scuba Review, take the OW final exam, and do all four OW cert dives, so almost as much as just doing OW from scratch. It disappeared from the Instructor Manual in 2010, with no mention in the Training Bulletins.

There is a lot of stuff when you google US Navy scuba cert. -- there is one place talking about that in conjunction with PADI AOW.

There is a lot of stuff when you google US Navy scuba cert. -- there is one place talking about that in conjunction with PADI AOW.

I did a lot of digging and stopped when i found something saying send in your certs to padi and they will evaluate for equivilancy. Then came issues of having original's and not copies and certified documents which do not exist in a service record tat you take home with you at end of service. basically it made the process overwhelming. It got to the point that no resemblance of common sense was in play. Others I have talked to have told me that even the navy diving school has the same problem and the navy instructors are also civilian instructors and they write them cards so they can get air locally or any where. That probably was not the case 30 years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom