Advantages of stages left and right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The myth of "complicates long hose deploy" comes up yet again. It makes no different to a long hose deploy provided you put your hose in the right place! Provided you aren't retarded enough to actually clip your hose under the stage chest clip AND forget to do a LH deploy check on the dive after doing that its not an issue. You can just as easily screw up a LH with all tanks left by clipping it under.

The myth of "complicates long hose deploy" comes up yet again. It makes no different to a long hose deploy provided you put your hose in the right place! Provided you aren't retarded enough to actually clip your hose under the stage chest clip AND forget to do a LH deploy check on the dive after doing that its not an issue. You can just as easily screw up a LH with all tanks left by clipping it under.

The long hose is on the right, under the can light. Its real easy to clip over that thing. Even if you don't, its got to swing out around the tank(s). With my method, its not even a consideration. The way the hose is routed (across the chest) keeps it out of the way of the left chest d-ring. I've NEVER clipped my longhose in, and I do dives with many stage/ deco bottles.

Some of us pick up stages along the way (caves). Are you going to do an s-drill 3 or 4 times? each time you pick up a stage or deco bottle? Have fun going no where and not seeing anything, while the deco time racks up. Even if you don't dive caves, my way works in the ocean, too.

That's a bit of a stupid reply - in that case, I'll then say what's the point of putting a second cylinder on your left when there's already one there? If there's no reason to do it then just put it on the right. The disadvantages of both ways should be looked at, in my opinion, before choosing. Saying that you haven't even looked at the reasons for having a stage on the right, and so you'll put it on the left, seems very narrow minded.

Why not all bottles right, canister on the left, light head in right, hoses routed to the left, and scooter with the left?

Some people value standardization within their team/community. In order to facilitate that standardization, at some point a decision has to be made for how it's going to be done even if there are other perfectly reasonable ways of doing it. Within LiteHedded's dive teams, there are specific things that involve one side (their right), so they elect to stow bottles on the other side (their left) or on their ass.

It's all well and good to make a list of pros and cons for all left, behind backgas, left lean right rich, or leftest leanest rightest richest (or however it's done with >2 bottles in the LLRR scheme), etc.. Just don't let standardization escape mention on your list (if that's of value to you).

and the dir bashing and arguing over minutiae begins. we're off to the races...this is why i didn't want to get into it.

That's a bit of a stupid reply - in that case, I'll then say what's the point of putting a second cylinder on your left when there's already one there? If there's no reason to do it then just put it on the right. The disadvantages of both ways should be looked at, in my opinion, before choosing. Saying that you haven't even looked at the reasons for having a stage on the right, and so you'll put it on the left, seems very narrow minded.

How exactly is that a "stupid reply"? You asked him for his opinion, he gave it to you with his reasoning. And IMO, he's right. You wanna dive with bottles on your right side feel free. But you won't be diving with my team.
Good luck.
K

Never mind, can't be bothered. Thanks for all the replies anyway.

and the dir bashing and arguing over minutiae begins. we're off to the races...this is why i didn't want to get into it.

Are you for real? You are claiming dir bashing because we don't all blindly follow your position on how equipment should be done "properly"
Oh well it's better than the usual "take the class" answer.
:shakehead:

Are you for real? You are claiming dir bashing because we don't all blindly follow your position on how equipment should be done "properly"
Oh well it's better than the usual "take the class" answer.
:shakehead:

where have I ever given that as the answer? or did I ask anyone to blindly follow anything?

you're putting words in my mouth. I answered the question you put to me. what else do you want, dude? if you're looking to pick a fight I'm not interested. as I said in the post that stirred all this nonsense up. perhaps your time would be better spent finding a better font than comic sans for your website than arguing with me for no reason.

cheers.

Thanks for the replies, but most of them haven't answered the question - I'm looking for advantages of having stages left and right, not more arguments against it.

If you only use 2 stages, L&R is simple & efficient - you can kit up by yourself easily, it reduces unclipping & reclipping during the dive & it practically eliminates the possibility of mixing up regs. If you use AL40s then deploying the long hose is no harder than with a can light

The long hose is on the right, under the can light. Its real easy to clip over that thing.

You dont need to do it that way at all. Simply run the hose OVER the clip on the waist d-ring and over the chest d-ring. It loops normally, it deploys normally, it hasnt got to come out over any tank at all. It works just as well as any other method.

I've NEVER clipped my longhose in, and I do dives with many stage/ deco bottles.

Ive never (yet) clipped my long hose in left or right. Ive seen people that have. It proves nothing - there's an even chance of doing it with either method.

Some of us pick up stages along the way (caves). Are you going to do an s-drill 3 or 4 times? each time you pick up a stage or deco bottle?

No more than you do with stages left which can still trap it. This isnt rocket science here. Its simple basic training. If you're incapable of clipping something to a D-ring in the right place you've got no business diving at all.

my way works in the ocean, too.
Im sure it does. You'll be disappointed to know the other way works just as well in the ocean. And caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom