Advantages of stages left and right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen a lot of advantages for having all stages left - streamlined, simpler hose routings, prevents laziness in tank ID etc, but haven't found many for having lean left rich right. The only ones I can think of are that it means you can use steel stages without being unbalanced, and it helps you to identify tanks in zero vis conditions (but then how would you know what depth to switch at any way?). So, seeming as a lot of people dive with tanks both sides, why d you do it?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Even with Aluminium stages it helps balance once you start carrying a few, especially if some have Helium in them. It adds another layer of protection to gas switching if you want it (although obviously it should never ever be the primary one).
Hose routing and changing over is sometimes easier as well depending on the regs especially when changing from one deco mix to another - you dont need tank cycle stuff to put the current tank on top etc.

For 1 or 2 stages i dont really see the need for LL/RR tanks but for more than that it does come in handy to help the balance, reduce the clutter all on one side and so on. I go with up to 2 on the left and adding any more start putting them on both sides for the above reasons. I can see no advantage at all to piling even more on the left or using a leash.

Id reverse the question, what advantages does all left have over a split on each? (and no, its not long hose deploy. A long hose works fine with a stage right).

that should answer your question. there aren't any.

Well I like the balance of having stages on either side. What exactly is the disadvantage?

Well I like the balance of having stages on either side. What exactly is the disadvantage?

complicates scootering, complicates the deployment of the long hose, and really reduces flexibility.

the biggest thing being there's no reason to put bottles over there in the first place. I've done dives with multiple scooters and 5 or 6 bottles on me with none of them on the right. why put up with the disadvantages (however slight you judge them to be. i'm not going to get into it.) if there's no good reason to do it?

if you're diving multiple steel stages however (ccr bailout maybe) then yea. i'm sure it's unreasonable. but i can't speak to that

why put up with the disadvantages (however slight you judge them to be. i'm not going to get into it.) if there's no good reason to do it?

If you're not going to get into it then you are basically just spouting tired old dogma. Why even bother posting?
Are you not going to get into it because you don't really have a clue what you're talking about or am I just not worthy of your considered opinion?

If you're not going to get into it then you are basically just spouting tired old dogma. Why even bother posting?
Are you not going to get into it because you don't really have a clue what you're talking about or am I just not worthy of your considered opinion?

what's the point? use the search button.
I bothered posting because you asked me specifically to post. you asked me for the disadvantages and I listed them as I see them.

maybe you're right. I don't know what I'm talking about and I'll leave you experts to handle it.

For rebreather bailout, I feel that if you are using steel bottles, such as 45's or 85's, which seems popular for long range diving, that using a nomad and sidemounting the bailout works pretty well. But, when it comes to this, it's really hard to give one recommendation for how to dive that doesn't change atleast slightly when considering different systems, such as sidemount, backmount, rebreather, bailout and stages. It's like if you ask me what side of the road to drive on. Of course, the righthand side. However, when you change countries, that advice might not work so well. :)

Fair enough - so the advantages appear to be balance and gas identification, and also possibly easier hose routings when changing gas. For the disadvantages, or advantages of having all stages left, I've got more streamlined therefore less drag and easier swimming, and so you are less likely to get stuck in a doorway in a wreck or something like that. Also you never become lazy in gas ID - always look at the stage markings themselves. And finally all stage hose lengths/routings are the same, whereas with left and right, unless you had non-handed regs like Poseidons, you would probably have to have slightly different hose routings/lengths for the most comfortable configuration.

Thanks everyone for all of your replies, it has made very interesting, and sometimes entertaining, reading :)

the biggest thing being there's no reason to put bottles over there in the first place. I've done dives with multiple scooters and 5 or 6 bottles on me with none of them on the right. why put up with the disadvantages (however slight you judge them to be. i'm not going to get into it.) if there's no good reason to do it?

That's a bit of a stupid reply - in that case, I'll then say what's the point of putting a second cylinder on your left when there's already one there? If there's no reason to do it then just put it on the right. The disadvantages of both ways should be looked at, in my opinion, before choosing. Saying that you haven't even looked at the reasons for having a stage on the right, and so you'll put it on the left, seems very narrow minded.

I think what he's saying is that there are disadvantages, and you don't need to put them on the right, since the left works so well. By putting them on the right, you're compromising a lot of important things (donation ability, scootering ability, standardized hose routings, and others).

That's a bit of a stupid reply - in that case, I'll then say what's the point of putting a second cylinder on your left when there's already one there? If there's no reason to do it then just put it on the right. The disadvantages of both ways should be looked at, in my opinion, before choosing. Saying that you haven't even looked at the reasons for having a stage on the right, and so you'll put it on the left, seems very narrow minded.

have you read my posts? I already told you why we put them on the left. and you had some good points in your OP as well.

as to your bolded point, I don't know how to respond because I said nothing of the sort.

we (divers with much more experience than you in such things) are just trying to offer our opinion. you've heard from both sides now. go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom