Advanced Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FyshEye:
Some of the other speciallity skills may need an Inst. or Divemaster, but most are dives that you and a buddy can enjoy on your own… Photo, Video, Naturalist etc… For heavens sake… you are a certified diver now! Enjoy your dives!
... and this is the sort of "instruction" that causes people to say they didn't learn anything in their AOW class ...

If you don't need an instructor, why pay for the class?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cerich:
Much more closely related to your intellectual maturity.
So the more PADI bashing I do the more intellectually mature I am! Awesome! :D

cornfed:
So the more PADI bashing I do the more intellectually mature I am! Awesome! :D
That's just ... :D

joey c:
On my AOW we went to 100 ft.
On my AOW deep dive, we went to 126 feet, although it wasn't entirely on purpose... Molokini gets some pretty wicked currents sweeping down the slope.

Interesting read this thread is! :D

I will be heading down to Beaver Lake, AR this weekend for my AOW dives. I can't wait! By the way, I have done most of these dives last year at Beaver, with a NAUI divemaster, but not an instructor. Therefore, I am now paying for the actual certification. Last year I ventured to 60' as anything deeper would be insane (at least at that point - visibility was about 10' or less - and my buddy and I were exploring the underwater forest in this limited visibility!!

Anyway, my LDS will be having a PADI instructor down there for OW dives and a NAUI instructor for the AOW dives. I personally want to just continue with PADI, but from what I've been told, it doesn't matter! Hmm...makes you wonder why there are these multiple agencies!! :D

I am looking forward to the enhanced training and personally like to leave the politics and the BS where it belongs!

Bill :)

I am AOW NAUI, did it make me an advanced diver, well yes and no.
The course did stretch my ability, I learned nav. by doing nav.
I learned deep by going deep.
Narc. was learned by working the tables @ 100 ft.[ and you are ]
All and all it was just an introduction ,under supervision into a new world of diving.
The card,reguardless of who it comes from is just a card!
The advanced diver is the one who practices these new skills on a regular basis on his own [with a buddy] and continues their training through rescue when the comfort level is discovered

douglasville diver:
I am AOW NAUI, did it make me an advanced diver, well yes and no.
The course did stretch my ability, I learned nav. by doing nav.
I learned deep by going deep.
Narc. was learned by working the tables @ 100 ft.[ and you are ]
All and all it was just an introduction ,under supervision into a new world of diving.
The card,reguardless of who it comes from is just a card!
The advanced diver is the one who practices these new skills on a regular basis on his own [with a buddy] and continues their training through rescue when the comfort level is discovered

I completely agree with you!

Bill

I don't understand how differnt agencies can have differnt limits...
I don't understand how a c-card can have a limit of 60'...
I have a NASDS c-card and the SDL is 100', thats the FLOOR...
I don't dive over 45' or 50' only because I live near the Gulf and the distence you must go to get to deeper water.
I plan to take an AOW class soon and it will be PDIC only because thats what they have at the LDS I go to, I got my Nitrox there also.

Anyway my Q is how can 2 divers both with a c-card or OW cert have 2 differnt limitations? :06:

GulfCostdiver:
Anyway my Q is how can 2 divers both with a c-card or OW cert have 2 differnt limitations? :06:
Because there is no governing body for SCUBA certifications. Any dive industry standard is a "concensus standard", which means most agencies follow the same general guidelines but there isn't anyone forcing them too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom