advanced open water with padi or naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We breathed off a cylinder (with no reg on the valve) in a swimming pool as a "confidence-building exercise." One such cylinder was put in each corner of the pool, and we swam underwater from one corner to the next, breathing only from the cylinders. (Cupping our hands to catch the air so we could sip air from the air bubble.)

It was an exercise with zero practical value, so there is no reason to try and work out how you'd do ti for "real.". It was just one of the ways to fill up the many hours of pool time we went through.
Strip out the nonsense like that, and make the teaching more efficient, and of course the pool sessions can be shorter than they used to be. Shorter does not equate to worse, just as longer does not equate to better.
If "skills" don't have real world applicability, then instruction is degraded by its interference.

That said, I think all agencies that teach underwater scuba kit removal and replacement in the pool only makes it pointless exercise for cold water divers who may not be able to perform that skill in open water. But that's another topic.

There was a bunch of stuff we did in the pool that really only served the purpose of making you more comfortable in the water.

I don't think that is a bad thing....

I still feel.the current time frames used for instruction are too short...

There was a bunch of stuff we did in the pool that really only served the purpose of making you more comfortable in the water.

I don't think that is a bad thing....

I still feel.the current time frames used for instruction are too short...
At least in my area the short pool times are ab economic issue with pool time at $160+/hour.

The irony is that when I taught for shops and switchef to teaching NB/T, I didn't need the full 6 hours, so I was able to have students "play games" that were basically task loading buoyancy drills.

I also prefer using the most pragmatic exercises to get students comfortable in the water.

We breathed off a cylinder (with no reg on the valve) in a swimming pool as a "confidence-building exercise." One such cylinder was put in each corner of the pool, and we swam underwater from one corner to the next, breathing only from the cylinders. (Cupping our hands to catch the air so we could sip air from the air bubble.)

It was an exercise with zero practical value, so there is no reason to try and work out how you'd do ti for "real.". It was just one of the ways to fill up the many hours of pool time we went through.
Strip out the nonsense like that, and make the teaching more efficient, and of course the pool sessions can be shorter than they used to be. Shorter does not equate to worse, just as longer does not equate to better.

I did the same exercise in my BASIC class back in 1976. We also had to eat a hotdog underwater too!

I did the same exercise in my BASIC class back in 1976. We also had to eat a hotdog underwater too!
Hmm. The weiner, pickle, tomato and sport peppers would be doable. But the bun, chopped onions, relish and mustard would be tricky.

Chicago-style hot dog - Wikipedia

220px-Chicago-style_hot_dog_2.jpg

I'm waiting for someone to claim they were taught to perform the warhammer manuever. I think that if a diver is comfortable doing that, then they will be comfortable in almost any situation.

Not sure about teaching that in a pool as the instructor is guaranteed to never be allowed back.

should i take the advanced class with padi or naui and please say why
thanks

Hello Daniel,

For almost every cert our there, Never pick an Agency. It is always better to pick the instructor and the specialties fits you and your diving best. I can teach underwater photography, but I do not teach it. I am not that great and if that is your thing, you need an instructor that is excellent at it. Evaluate all the skills you want to learn, talk to an instructor and what and why. If he fits you.... Do it.

I basically teach the exact same AOW class under SDI as I did under NAUI, NAV, Night, Deep +2 of your choice, getting anywhere from 6-9 dives in. For non NAUI students I introduce rescue skills, and refresh the rescue skills for for NAUI students.

Dive operations do not care what agency your cert is from. Padi says a depth of 100feet. However dive operations will take you to 130 anyways.

The only time you should pick an agency on a cert, is the NAUI Master Diver course. The is the BEST NON Technical or Professional course I have been in. When I did my PADI DM, I really learned very little as it was all covered in my NAUI Masters course.

FYI, I am an Active SDI Instructor and no longer NAUI Active.

I'm waiting for someone to claim they were taught to perform the warhammer manuever. I think that if a diver is comfortable doing that, then they will be comfortable in almost any situation.

Not sure about teaching that in a pool as the instructor is guaranteed to never be allowed back.
I diver who can do that in Nova Scotia is a God.
If in the pool just remember-- "Spalding, don't touch it!!!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom